Planning last minute 1-night trip this weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sigilToNoise
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Planning last minute 1-night trip this weekend

Post by sigilToNoise »

I'm planning a last-minute one-night backpacking trip to either Desolation or Emigrant this weekend, as those seem to be the two closest wilderness areas for me (I live in the SF Bay Area). Haven't decided which, as I don't have much experience with either. I was looking at maybe Bear Lake in Emigrant, or Lake Aloha in Desolation if I can get there early enough to pick up a non-reservation permit. But I'm open to other destinations that are stunningly beautiful and fit my constraints.

This will probably be a solo trip.

I talked to the rangers for both wilderness areas today and they told me that the mosquitoes are pretty bad everywhere right now, so I'm aware that I'll need a head net, DEET, and long clothes.

Where would you recommend that I go?

My details:
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails

Comfortable terrain:
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country (with full pack)
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country (day hike)
- River crossings (wading up to knees is probably ok)

Main interest:
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery

Duration:
2 days (1 overnight)

Mileage per day:
Not sure, maybe 4-6?

Route logistics preference:
Loop is best, out-and-back ok

Area of interest:
Emigrant, Desolation

Dog:
No
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Planning last minute 1-night trip this weekend

Post by maverick »

Hi SigilToNoise,

Welcome to HST! Have you read this conditions update to the Aloha Lakes area: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13936&start=24#p107884
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sigilToNoise
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sigilToNoise »

Thanks for the heads up! That's a bit more snow than I'm ready for.

I've done a little more reading and am going to postpone my trip until I'm better prepared--I was scrambling around to figure out what kind of gear I would need, and decided that it's best for me to put more planning into this adventure so that I'll enjoy it more. In the meantime, tomorrow I'm going to hike into Sykes Hot Springs down in Big Sur.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

The further south you go, the less snow you will find. Look and the John Muir Wilderness or Jennie as an alternative...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963