TR: Mt Gibbs, June 4

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Mt Gibbs, June 4

Post by Rockyroad »

Mt Gibbs does not receive as many visitors as its neighbor, Mt Dana. Perhaps because it is only the 6th highest peak in Yosemite, 284’ below Mt Dana, which is the 2nd highest peak. It is also a few miles further from the trailhead. In any case, all the better for me, as I prefer the solitude and was the only one on the mountain. In fact, the last register entry was almost 3 weeks ago.

Based on photos of a snow-covered Mt Dana from just a week ago, I had intended to bring snowshoes. But after seeing the bare-top mountain from Tioga Road, I decided to just carry the microspikes.

Lulled by recent drought years, I did not anticipate the early season stream crossings and was surprised to see Dana Fork flowing so fast and high. I had no choice but to wade across the first crossing and found a broken log upstream for the second crossing.

I left the trail about a mile in and started up the ridge towards Mt Gibbs. This section was forested with patches of snow that got denser as I ascended. Microspikes were useful here. After exiting the forest above treeline, the first false summit is visible. When this is reached, there is still another ~1400’ to go and another summit (false) is visible. From this second false summit, the true summit is still +900’ higher. This can be demoralizing, but for me, the false summits were milestone achievements.

First false summit

Second false summit

Finally, the true summit

Kuna Crest, seen from the second false summit

From the summit, Cathedral range is visible behind Kuna Crest

Mt Dana on the right and the second false summit below to the left

Water flowing over previous log crossing, still the best option for crossing back
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR: Mt Gibbs, June 4

Post by Hobbes »

RR, how did Tuolumne meadows look? We are planning on heading up to the TM campground on 6/25 for a weekend car camping trip. I've been up there before when the road is open, but the store & CG were still closed.

Our fall back plan is to stay @ June lake and drive up for some day hikes if the campground isn't open.
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Beautiful! That looks like a fun trip. Thanks for the report and photos.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Cool TR and photo's RR, your photo's into the backcountry really show how much snow is still out there.

Hobbes wrote:
RR, how did Tuolumne meadows look? We are planning on heading up to the TM campground on 6/25 for a weekend car camping trip. I've been up there before when the road is open, but the store & CG were still close.
The Yosemite NP site is estimating July 15th to be the opening date for the Tuolumne Meadows Campground.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Hobbes wrote:RR, how did Tuolumne meadows look? We are planning on heading up to the TM campground on 6/25 for a weekend car camping trip. I've been up there before when the road is open, but the store & CG were still closed.
Karl, I remember thinking that the meadow was going to be pretty wet. I passed by the store and grill early and late in the day when it would have been closed so don't know if it was open for the season yet. Do its opening dates coincide with the campground opening date (July 15th per Maverick)? I did notice yellow tape around the restrooms indicating that they were closed.