Resupply

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wallygoss
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Resupply

Post by wallygoss »

Hi All! Cannot get recommended Onion Valley resupplier to call or email me back. I need a place with a box drop since I am not sure what day I will arrive. I am also open to any other resupply options on the east side of the SEKI loop, but I really don't want to leave the trail. Worst case I will cut back west to Cedar Grove, but would like to avoid that, too. Am I too picky?:)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Resupply

Post by AlmostThere »

You're just out of options. I am surprised you found as many as you have...

Box drop? Putting caches in bear boxes is illegal.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I have "self resupplied", probably illegally using both these methods: 1-plan a figure 8 route and carry the resupply for 1-2 days and then hide it where the route crosses. 2-for a shuttle hike I have dayhiked a resupply to approx the midpoint of my planned hike. usually the day before I officially start hiking. I have always left my resupply in a bear cannister.

For Onion Valley you are looking at a 20 mile dayhike to get close to the JMT. Have you called the Mt Williamson Motel. They cater to backpackers, and though you would spend a night off the trail don't sell short the midhike opportunity to eat a real meal, have a real shower, and sleep in a real bed while picking up your resupply. This Mt Williamson is probably your best option for southern half of a JMT hike.
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by The hermit »

I thought it was ok to leave a box at trailhead bear boxes (I do it every trip with my extra food and toiletries). Just make sure you label it per instructions which are usually on the bear lockers. Food drops are illegal in the back country
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have hiked a resupply in for a friend. If you have a friend with a backpacking habit, sending them up to Junction or Vidette for a few days might be an option.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP Regs state:
2. Food Storage Boxes

In areas where food storage containers are not required you may use a food storage box if available. Keep in mind that you must share these boxes with other hikers; locks are not permitted on them. Carry rope for hanging food in case the box is full or you don't camp where you intended. The caching of food and gear in food storage boxes is not permitted within Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org