Need suggestions for kid-friendly 2-3 nighter in late June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Need suggestions for kid-friendly 2-3 nighter in late June

Post by mangomegan »

I'm looking for suggestions for a trip for our family: myself, hubby, and two kids (ages 6 and 9). Last year was our first time backpacking with the kids, and they did great. Last year we did two trips; one in Desolation to the Echo Lakes/Tamarack area, and one into Emigrant to Powell Lake.

We had considered the Little Lakes Valley for this trip, but the permit availability and timing aren't working out, so will delay that trip until later this season. Would love to find something else with stunning scenery! Any ideas in Yosemite?

We plan to go sometime in the June 22-28 range.

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails -- KIDS
Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel -- HUBBY AND MYSELF

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country

What is your main interest?
- Big Mountain scenery
- Lakes (BUT NO FISHING)

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?
3-4 DAYS, 2-3 NIGHTS

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
UP TO 5 MILES PER DAY; OPEN TO DAY HIKING FROM BASE CAMP

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)?
LOOP PREFERRED, BUT OPEN TO ANYTHING NOT INVOLVING 2 VEHICLES OR HITCHHIKING

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in (Yosemite, SEKI western sierra start or eastern start ect.)?
MOST INTERESTED IN GRANITE AND BIG PEAK VIEWS

Will you be hiking with a dog?
NO
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Need suggestions for kid-friendly 2-3 nighter in late Ju

Post by balzaccom »

I'm assuming you want shorter days. What about something in Desolation Wilderness out of Wright's Lake? There are a bunch of lakes within five miles of the trailhead there.

or another trip to Emigrant, this time via Crabtree Trailhead--to Bear Lake, Gem Lake, etc.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by seanr »

Robinson Creek TH (Twin Lakes/Mono Village) lollipop trip: ~21 miles excluding any side trips, but with moderate gain (not super easy) including Barney Lake, Peeler Lake, Kerrick Meadow, Rock Island Pass, Snow Lake, Crown Lake, and Robinson Lakes. A class 2 side trip up Crown Point from Rock Island Pass (without packs) and/or class 1 to Mule Pass from Snow Lake/Crown Lake area would be worthwhile. If anyone is tired an out and back to Peeler Lake with dayhiking from Peeler would be an easier alternative (~15 miles and less gain). Impressive big mountain views and granite abound here, so store it away for the future if it looks like too much gain.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Thanks for the input--I will check out those suggestions!

Can anyone speak to doing the north rim of Yosemite loop? Lots of elevation gain, but thinking maybe the kids can handle it...
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

mangomegan wrote:Thanks for the input--I will check out those suggestions!

Can anyone speak to doing the north rim of Yosemite loop? Lots of elevation gain, but thinking maybe the kids can handle it...
North rim loop starting and ending where? It could be fun and very scenic, but not ideal in a heatwave, not as ideal if flows have diminished (should still be decent), not known for lakes, more known for Yosemite views than big peak views, and possibly much more gain than you have indicated the kids have experienced.

Anyway, I have kids around the same age and they can handle a lot, but it depends on the kid and sometimes on the given mood/day. Mine love water and rock scrambling much more than a hike with neither. For many people, gain and terrain are the killers more than miles, especially if carrying much.

Besides the ideas above:

-Dinkey Lakes Wilderness would work well.

-If willing to drive some bumpy roads, Norris or Fernandez TH's (just south of Yosemite in Ansel Adams) to Lady & Lillian Lake vicinities would be good and is loopable (perhaps more exciting out and back with side trips).

-Twenty Lakes Basin from Saddlebag Lake would undoubtedly impress with very little gain involved and no quota, but will likely be a bit marshy and skeeter filled in places late June (but that could be a problem elsewhere also).

-Green Creek TH has some easy to moderate options, but the scenery emphasis there is not necessarily granite.

Edit:. Kids may enjoy a base camp or very short loop mileage per day more than a long loop trip if expected to carry much. Then they would be free to scramble and play. YMMV. Strict loops are hard to find and not necessarily any better than non-loops.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

When my son was 6 we did a trip from Virginia Lakes to Virginia Canyon in late June. We camped at Summit Lake and in Virginia Canyon and day-hiked up to Virginia Pass. There was still a little snow on the trail below Summit Lake and at the west end of the lake, but my son thought it only added to the fun. Green Creek meets the trail below Summit Lake so it's a similar route though the skeeters may be worse at the lower elevations on the hike up.

If you can get a permit, Young Lakes are also a good possibility - we took my son there the year before in late June when he was 5. There was still quite a bit of snow at Young Lakes, but the campsites were all clear. You can turn this into a partial loop by following the Glen Aulin trail and then heading up to Young Lakes and returning via Dog Lake.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

All of those are good ideas --better than a North Rim loop. Hiking up Snow Creek or Yosemite Falls trails isn't fun with a full pack. Nor is it fun for kids on a hot day.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Mangomegan,

How about a different Yosemite North Rim loop? Start at Porcupine Flat on the Tioga Road. Hike down toward North Dome, then along the rim to Yosemite Creek, and then back up Yosemite Creek to the campground. One parent waits here with the kids while the other dayhikes up the trail to the Tioga road and hitchhikes back to Procupine Flat to get the car and drive it back. We did this as a late June hike many years ago with three kids ages 6 to 11. We dry-camped the first night on the low flat ridge between Lehamite and Arch Creeks - I hiked the 1/4 mile backed down to Lehamite Creek to fill up a 2.5 gallon water bag plus all our water bottles. Next day, took a side trip over to North Dome, then back, pick up packs, and continued on to Yosemite Creek. I believe we camped on the east side, upstream from where the trail crosses on a bridge. Next day continue past Yosemite Falls (take the side trip down to the viewing platform!) and then up along Yosemite Creek. We camped a third night a couple miles short of the Yosemite Creek campground. The scenery is spectacular from all points along the rim. You can't play in the water if you camp on Yosemite Creek just up from the bridge - don't want to be swept over the falls - but the kids enjoying playing in the creek further up as we hiked out. Hiking in this clockwise direction means less uphill for the kids (more for the parent who goes to get the car).

-Phil
Last edited by wildhiker on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Thanks, everyone! Many good ideas here; I will file these away for reference whenever we're planning a trip. Unfortunately, just found out we will not be able to take a trip in June, as my daughter's theater group requires her to attend all rehearsals! Oh well, we'll make it out in August...if I can wait that long...
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Blessing in disguise. August will be better- fewer mosquitoes, lower (safer) water flows, better access to the higher country.