Emigrant Wilderness Cross Country Bear lake to Chewing Gum L

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Emigrant Wilderness Cross Country Bear lake to Chewing Gum L

Post by jgaffney »

I'm planning a trip for July. I can only get away for 3 nights, so I'm going back to the Emigrant Wilderness.

I've done the loops from the Crabtree and Gianelli trailheads, getting out as far as Upper Relief Valley. This time, I'd like to do a loop out of Crabtree, spending the first night at Bear Lake and the second night at Chewing Gum Lake. I would hike northeast along Lilly Creek from Bear Lake, up the canyon to the plateau at elev 8360, then hike west to get away from the steep cliff, then continue northwest up to Chewing Gum Lake. Here's a map:

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYX ... ICwkYnYCww

Any tips?

Thanks for the help.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Emigrant Wilderness Cross Country Bear lake to Chewing G

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are better 3-day routes. Not sure why you want to go to Chewing Gum Lake from Crabtree, as it is better to access from Gianelli. If visiting any of the lakes north of Bear-Gem-Deer Lake, Gianelli is a much more pleasant trailhead. Only reason not to use Ginaelli is if it is not open due to snow.

If late July, Kennedy Meadows to Emigrant Lake is a better trip. You can loop in Mosquito Pass and out Brown Bear Pass. If early July, there will be snow.

Kennedy Lake would be a good early July trip.

For late July, assuming you can cross Summit Creek, either Lewis Lakes or Iceland/Ridge Lakes is a nice 3-day trip. The off-trail parts of both is best done if you have some off-trail experience. Not the easiest.

Kibby Lake from Cherry Lake is another good 3-day trip. I am doing this plus more in a few days. So look for my trip report in a week or so.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

It seems to me that you're passing up the nicest lake in that area: Granite Lake.

Three days? Bear Lake is a half day hike for us...and we're old and slow.

If you want more adventure and scenery, try Gianelli to Leopold on the first day. Second day is xc to Granite Lake. Day three is home via YMeadow ...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jgaffney »

I've hiked out of Gianelli before. The problem I have is that I live near sea level. So, waking up at oh-dark-thirty and driving to Pinecrest to get the wilderness permit, then driving to Gianelli at 8,200 ft, then hiking over Burst Rock and the hill between Chewing Gum and Toe Jam lakes wasn't fun. I want to start at Crabtree because it's lower, and I want to do the cross country because I've never hiked that route before. I only have 2 nights, so staying at Granite Lake isn't an option.
ppolischuk
Topix Novice

Post by ppolischuk »

You could fit Granite Lake in. We regularly spend 2 nights there on long weekend trips. The off-trail section from Bear Lake up to Granite Lake can be a little frustrating at the end of the day, and on one trip a number of experienced friends got turned around trying to find it. But if you'r comfortable with navigating off-trail, can do.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Hi. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but how is the camping at granite lake? I'm taking my kids out that way in early July and was thinking of of spending a night there. Thanks.
markatrog
Topix Acquainted

Post by markatrog »

Love that place we should all get together and go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Talked to the Rangers at summit today. Crabtree TH is open but Gianelli is still blocked by snow. Should be cleared in a week or so.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.