Sphinx Lakes to Lake Reflection

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Shawn wrote:Sphinx Lakes is always a good topic of discussion.
Yes it is!
Shawn wrote: PS. Doyle- I re-read your Sphinx and Brewer TR's, enjoyed them almost more than the first time.
Hey, thanks for reading! :nod: !!
Shawn wrote: Also, here is a topo showing the "approximate" route along Sphinx Creek:
http://www.theradioroom.org/BrewerRoute.JPG
That is a good map. That is almost exactly the way I have done it. Please allow me to add some corrections to the "approximate" part of the route:
1) At "Headwall 4" the easy way to turn the lake is on the north and east side of the lake and follow the granite ramp to lake 10514. Lots of talus the other way. ;)
2) Turning lake 10546 is easier on the north-western side along the trail around the lake.
3) Getting to the top of "Headwall 6" is easier closer to to the outlet stream.
4) The actual Sphinx Pass is off the map to the east, going up the gully where the box reads "0.89 miles Fror...". You know you are there on the pass when you can look down southeast to the small lake below the pass in Brewer Basin.
5) Go aound the lowest lake swamp on the west side.
6) It might be better to switch over to the east side of the stream at "Headwall 2".

This anal moment brought to you by Sierra-Trails. :lol:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted

Post by Aviprk »

Thanks so much all.

GB, I'm afraid 4 days is all i have. I'm definitely leaning more towards the east to west route that most suggested. I'm pretty fit but don't know so much about the buddies that will be going along especially with their heavy backpacks. I can average about 2.5 miles per hour of mostly uphill hiking. I do tons of stair master workout so uphill is not a problem but downhill where it feels my knees will jump out of my body!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

GB one of my favorite photos I have is of Conness Lakes with Mt
Conness and North Peak in it ! The whole 20 Lakes Basin is very
photogenic area!
Another is at Upper McCabe Lake.
The chute that descends from the ridge above Shamrock Lake to
McCabe Lake turned into a flaming red wall at sunset one evening when
I was there and reflected into the lake, a gorgeous shot!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Aviprk dont forget the trekking poles for the staircase from Sphinx
Creek down to Bubbs Creek!
Give us a trip report with photos if possible when you get back!
Have fun and be safe.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

maverick wrote:GB one of my favorite photos I have is of Conness Lakes with Mt Conness and North Peak in it ! The whole 20 Lakes Basin is very photogenic area!
Yeah, that area is nice. In fact even view of North Peak and Shepherd Crest at sunrise viewed from the Saddlebag resort area is above average. I too like the Conness Lakes/Conness etc. area for its rugged alpine character. By the way, regarding Mission Peak, how long have you been using that as your training ground? Although a 46-year resident of the Bay Area before moving to Fresno in the summer of 2005, I didn't start really using Mission Peak as a training hike until 2003. I did it multiple times in 2003 and 2004 to train for death marches, mostly to make up for the fact that after 2002, when my first little one was born, I wasn't making it up to the Sierras with much frequency. I really enjoyed those Mission Peak hikes in spite of pace I was pushing, except for two hikes that I did in 90+ degree heat.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Moved to Fremont in September 06 and used it as training till Nov
when I started my off-season training.
My in-season training started the end of March, so I have been going
up every Thursday in the morning before work.
Before moving over to the east bay I went to Prisima Creek (Harkins
Ridge Trail and Huddard Parks (Archery Road) for my training but
they are not as steep unfortunately, so moving here has its pluses.
Ever use the Ohlone Trail or Skyline to the Sea Trail as a day hike
for ultra's? I havent done either in several years, Id allways do
them in June around the summer solstice to get the longest day
of the year.
On the Horse Heaven Trail the flowers are starting to bloom as they
are at the Eaglescout Camp area behind Mission Peak, it looks pretty
good.
michaeljf
Topix Novice

Post by michaeljf »

maverick wrote:Off topic I'm down to 45 mins from the parking lot to the top of of
Mission Peak with a 20lb pack, thats my magic number letting me
know Im ready to hit the mountains!
Excellent. Now I have a target and something to compare against. I'm partial to Horse Heaven Trail, too — less people, steep but not slippery, nice flowers and even a few Sierra-like rocks. No way I'm to the top in 45 though. And I'm pretty dead by the time I get down, so can't see doing it before work, unless my work has lots of nap time. You youngsters can go on ahead...

Only been down Bubb Creek once. Almost stepped on a rattlenake. Scared the crap outta me.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

>>By the way, regarding Mission Peak, how long have you been using that as your training ground?

I was raised in Niles (Fremont) and lived there many years (in San Jose now) and I have climbed Mission Peak more times than I can count. I have gone from Ohlone College a number of times, but mostly I went up the west side from what was the winery. I usually took my 50 pound training pack. These days I hike the Santa Cruz Mountains, about a 1000 feet, about every other day with my same old 50 pound pack. I have been meaning to do Mission Peak some day soon for old times sake.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Regarding Mission Peak etc., you guys are pretty dedicated. I did Mission less in three years than you folks do in a few weeks or months (about 10 times total from 2002-2004). 45 min. is impressively fast. In 2002 before they posted signs to cut off the shortcuts, my best was 49 min taking advantage of several of the shortcuts, but that rose into the 50's once I stuck to the trail. I did in fact have a sort of competitive thing going on that trail and would do my best to overtake and pass anyone I saw in the distance ahead--good thing I never ran into Maverick. I would have ended up in the hospital if I tried to overtake someone on a 45 minute pace! Regarding other Bay Area 'warmup' hikes, I never did much in the off season prior to 2002, but a favorite of mine that I mainly did in the name of geologic research, was Montara Mtn. That hike features some stunning spring wildflowers (lots of wild irises, for example) and great ocean views that even included a whale or two at times.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
michaeljf
Topix Novice

Post by michaeljf »

Lived in Fremont since '87. Hiked on Mission Peak more times than I can count, but don't always go all ther way to the top. I did today, though. Thought I'd see how far I could get in 45 minutes. Only about 2/3 up the south route (sort of Horse Heaven Trail, but veers off a bit). 23 lb. pack. After I decided there was no chance of getting anywhere near Maverick's time, I started goofing off photographing flowers. Didn't top out until 2 hours in, which is slow even for me, but it was a nice day on the hill.

The shortcuts on the main trial are still posted as "don't go here", but apparently the vast majority of bozos hiking there think the signs mean the opposite, 'cause most of them were shortcutting. Usually big groups having loud conversations and dropping snot rags on the road. Horse Heaven Trail usually less crowded, but today had lots. Even saw a bunch of backpackers there today, heading over the hill.

I prefer the Ohlone trailhead, but being cheap, I only go there when the college isn't enforcing the parking fee. On the other hand, got a $60 parking ticket at the Stanford Ave trailhead last year, so maybe there is no escape.