Dicks Peak - North Face

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dicks Peak - North Face

Post by Vaca Russ »

I took off Thursday to see the conditions in the high country of Deso. The Bayview campground is open.
1Emerald.JPG
The trail above Granite Lake begins to be choked in snow near the top. Once you reach the top of the ridge between her peaks the snow mostly covers the trail. It is easy to navigate by just following the ridge to 8300 feet where the snow mostly clears up.
2Velma Junc.JPG
The trail from the Eagle Lake / Bayview junction to the Velma Lakes junction is mostly clear of snow. The few patches are easy to navigate.

Once the trail turns SW toward the PCT the snow completely covers the trail.
3PCT.JPG
On the ridge above Dicks Lake where you meet the PCT.
4PCT Pass.JPG
The entire Dicks Lake Basin is still covered by snow. I camped near the outlet of Dicks Lake.
5Check Dam.JPG
The local rodents were happy to see one of the first humans of the season.
6Marmot.JPG
The next morning I started up Dicks north slope.
7North Face.JPG
My original plan was to take the route to the right of the summit.
8Route.JPG
It was a good thing I changed to the left route.
9Sketchy.JPG
Things looked a little sketchy to the right.

My route was from the outlet of Dicks Lake up the snow filled gulch on the West side of the lake.
10 Dicks LK Basin.JPG
Thanks for reading my post.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Re: Dicks Peak - North Face

Post by Gazelle »

Very nice and good pictures showing conditions Thanks
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
uscscott
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by uscscott »

Thanks for the trip report, photos and detail on the route. Very informative for an upcoming trip.

Is the view in the second to last photo looking out to Jacks Peak? How was the mosquito situation?
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

uscscott wrote:Is the view in the second to last photo looking out to Jacks Peak? How was the mosquito situation?
No, that is looking north. No mosquitos...plenty of vermin.

Looking south...
P6030134.JPG
See more details here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13936&p=107865#p107865

Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
uscscott
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by uscscott »

Thanks Russ, much appreciated.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Nicely done, sir.

I was looking right at you around 3pm Friday. What time did you summit? I'm guessing I missed you by a couple of hours.

From Jabu Lake outlet looking NW
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

FeetFirst wrote:What time did you summit? I'm guessing I missed you by a couple of hours.
The cold temps, babbling brook and missing dogs allowed me to sleep in late. I awoke to sunlight and pulled my black stocking cap over my eyes and went back to sleep. It was one of the best nights sleep I had in a while.

I love the backcountry. :nod:

I summited at about 10 AM. The snow was getting pretty sloppy. I don't think Scott and his nephew will have any issues during their climb. They just need to take the traditional route; follow the PCT south up to Dicks Pass, then traverse the ridge to the summit of Dicks. Almost all of the snow (on this ridge) will be melted by then.

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.