2016 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Emigrant - N. Yosemite at 6000-8000 ft

Post by Wandering Daisy »

May 30- June 4

0-1. Most in deep forested areas, brush, and bogs. A nice breeze probably kept most down. I did not get a single mosquito bite, and only heard that horrid sound of the mosquito the last day of the trip. I guess the big hatch is just around the corner - in a week or so.

Yet, there were many "winged things" hatching. Those nasty small "in your face" winged things; tiny clouds of nearly translucent gnats, clouds of long winged black fly-like things, and a few biting deer flies. Most did not bite but wearing a head net was needed at times.

There were rock indentations full of stagnant water, nearly covered with floating rather large black winged things, ready to emerge.

Stepping on the very littered forest floor brought up small swarms of tiny winged things.
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Yosemite Wawona June 2-4

Post by old and slow »

car camping June 2-4 at Yosemite, Wawona Campground --- 3
didn't notice any at Taft Point or Sentinel Dome on Glacier Point Road
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Desolation Wilderness, Echo to Aloha, June 3-4

Post by FeetFirst »

No mosquitoes :D
Last edited by FeetFirst on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Yosemite Creek 6/4 - 6/5

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Around 6800 feet they were a strong 3.
KathyW
Founding Member

PCT - Mulkey Pass to Death Canyon 6/3-6/5/16

Post by KathyW »

I went from Horseshoe Meadows to Cartago Peak June 3-5th; so I went over Mulkey Pass and south on the PCT. The mosquitoes were about 1-2 all the way to the Ash Meadows area where I camped. Then at night they around camp they became about a 3-4 and I was in a dry camp. The next day, they were about a 1-2 again down to Death Canyon/Cartago and only about a 3 that night back in camp at Ash Meadows. I'd guess they would be worse at night in the Diaz Creek or Death Canyon area.
SpiritStag
Topix Newbie

Onion Valley-Kearsarge 6/4-6/5

Post by SpiritStag »

Onion Valley to Kearsarge Pass June 4-5
Camped at Gilbert Lake. Mosquitos were a 2. Got a couple bites at dusk. Weren't an issue on the hike up to the pass.
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Big Pine N Fork June 3-4

Post by ExploreABitMore »

On June 3rd, some mosquitos (and lots of other bugs) were around 3rd Lake, but had no interest in me. Didn't see any on way to Gendarme Peak on the 4th. But when I got back to camp a mosquito landed on me and bit my arm. Few more bites on the way out.

I'll give it a 1 on the 3rd and a 1-2 on the 4th.
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
ianrb
Topix Novice

Horseshoe Meadows to Lake 4 6/4-6/5

Post by ianrb »

Horseshoe Meadows to Lake 4 June 4-5. Mosquitos were about 2/3 at the trailhead and a 1 (maybe a soft 2) at Lake 4. Warm weather, clear skies and a slight breeze.
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

June 3-5, Whitney Portal and Meysan Lakes trail

Post by Bruce B »

Figured I'd finally create an account and give something back to this thread after using it for many years...

1 at Whitney Portal all the way up to Camp Lake at 11,200 feet via Meysan Lakes trail. There was a brief section of 2-3 at about 9,000 feet in the shade on the way down. They were gone a few hundred yards down the trail when I got back in the sun.

Overall, not a problem at all. Didn't use any repellent.
Kent
Topix Newbie

Glen Aulin 6/8 - 6/10

Post by Kent »

In Glen Aulin = 2-3. We often had a breeze which mostly kept them at bay. When the breeze left they would come out. If I didn't have full coverage clothing, I would have pulled out the bug juice.
In the swamp area below Wildcat Pt. if you stop to switch shoes, or wring out socks and clean debris from your trail runners, they are heavy and hungry.