13 peaks in 1 day Kirkwood area

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

13 peaks in 1 day Kirkwood area

Post by Gazelle »

5/30/2016 Big 13 peak day almost 14 but couldn’t/wouldn't go up the 2 sentinels. 14 miles 5646 elevation gain 4977 elevation loss 9.5 hours. Started my day at the Thunder mountain trail head at 6:45 but promptly was off trail due to snow and obtaining the ridge of Carson Spur why this is named is beyond me, then on to the 2 sentinels neither of which I climbed as they where definitely at least 50 feet of class 4 did go up 1/3 of the second one trying to find an easier route to no avail (so unfortunately only a 13 peak day) the most ever in one day.
1000.jpg
1001.jpg
Martin Point and Thunder Mountain east and west, the ridge held lots of snow all consolidated so pretty easy walking although I did bring snowshoes and crampons not knowing the conditions and did not want a post-hole adventure. Didn't need either.
1002.jpg
The traverse over to Thimble Peak was uneventful but the class 4 airy exposed section at the top was VERY exciting.
1003.jpg
Covered Wagon peak was kind of a knife edge ridge line that was quite fun, on the way to Melissa Corey Peak is one of the Emigrant trail signs (something that I seek out)
1012.jpg
1004.jpg
9795 higher than both Covered Wagon and Melissa Coray and the only un named peak of the day then 4th of July peak with a view of a still frozen 4th of july lake.
1006.jpg
Then a nasty 1 step up ½ step slide down to the West Sister and a great little traverse between the 2 pinnacles to get to the higher of the 2 to achieve the West Sister. The hardest part to get to the East Sister was coming down from the West one, I had been on this Sister the last time I did Round Top in 2009 as it it easily achieved from the saddle between it and Round Top. Round Top has a quick little Class 3 section but beautiful views in every direction.
1007.jpg
1008.jpg
1009.jpg
1010.jpg
1011.jpg
On the way down I ran in to 2 guys the 1st people of the day. Boot skied down to Winnumuca lake where a lady had a beautiful spot for the tent on the only dirt around. Last but not least was Elephants back then followed the PCT still under snow down to Carson pass where it took me ½ hour to get a hitchhike ride back to my car. Amazing day with exceptional views only bad part was I sun burnt my pasty white legs, and a 2 hour drive home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Re: 13 peaks in 1 day Kirkwood area

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
uscscott
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by uscscott »

Incredible! I can only imagine the meal you had at the end of that day. Well earned. Great photos, thanks for posting.

I see you mentioned that you brought snowshoe's and crampons but didn't need them. Did you take an ice axe and if so, did you need it?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

No didn't bring ice axe snow was soft enough everywhere too not need crampons, but thankfully not too soft for the snowshoes!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wow, Kristine, you are absolutely amazing!

=D> :eek: :thumbsup: =D>

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Thanks Russ it is not everyday one gets to do that many named peaks in a day or for that matter that many peaks that close together
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the report. Good to see what snow conditions are like up there. That was quite an epic trip you did!
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Nice! I've been to that area a handful of times but have never put in the effort to visit more than a couple peaks per day. There has been talk of a winter weekend plan among some intense peakbagging buddies to start where you did, but continue along the ridge from Round Top around to Elephants Back, and then keep going on the other side of the pavement. Kind of doubt I'll join or tag all if I do.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

You could probably get Red lake and Stevens peak also without too much effort