Aramark

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
AnaG
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Aramark

Post by AnaG »

I had the opportunity to chat with one of the main guys in charge of transportation throughout the park (free and paid shuttles, YARTS once it enters the park, and most of the park vehicle maintanence as well). He wasn't very clear about any of it, but a few things I was able to figure out (also, don't quote me on this because the conversation was a couple of weeks ago):

-This guy used to contract through NPS, but then he changed over to DNC about a month before it changed hands. Now he's with the new concessionaire. Same people running the transportation, but with less red tape.

-The old TM hikers bus was losing money. The $14 fee is if you ride all the way from the Valley to the end of TM. Supposedly the price varies with your destination.

-Also supposedly (haven't seen anything to prove this yet) the TM shuttle will be a Tioga Pass shuttle running from Crane Flat to TM. It will be shutting down each evening at 7ish. There might also be a charge for that. I think he said $2.

Anyways. I have yet to see any info from Yosemite about this. Then again, they didn't post anything about the Glacier Point shuttle either...
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

AnaG wrote:The old TM hikers bus was losing money.
Old? It was like a year old.

All free shuttles lose money. They require funding from another source, something we all pay into (like entrance fees or taxes). The benefit, even if you don't ride the shuttle yourself, is that there are fewer cars on the road. I've gotten the impression that YNP wants to reduce personal automobile use in the park. But they don't always seem to be acting in a way that is consistent with that goal.

Many times over the years, looking at the limited public transportation options, we have driven from the SF Bay Area to Yosemite and the eastern Sierra to do point-to-point hikes in two cars -- even when there were only two of us.

I don't really mind paying the money, obviously. Driving is more expensive. It's just that buying a ticket is another delay and another reason to limit the number of buses and pinch the schedule down to where it is worthwhile to a more limited number of people.

The tentative schedule for the new hiker bus is worthless to me in 2016. I'll be driving instead.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

markskor wrote:First impression...Not so impressed with this new Aramark company...does not appear to be "hiker friendly."
Or maybe, they just don't understand Yosemite yet...sigh.
Mark, when do you get your official Aramark shirt for working at the TM store? ;)

Pretty sure you'll have a fun Summer up there anyway. You love that place.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

yosemite uber service :-#
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Only thing I think is worth note is I went into the Tuolumne Meadows store and bought a large bag of chips and a soda and it was cheaper than getting it at a store here in town.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If you are working the store by 6/16, will have to do a drive by Mark. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org