Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin area?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Post by rlown »

d_silva1 wrote:Just called the pack station for this area. Dropping off anything up to Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight: $375. Anything past Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight, $750. Seems not quite right in that they could easily add 10 lbs. to an existing trip, rather than charge me two horse and a packer for just 10 pounds. But, yes, I know, it is their business and they set the rules, and there is only one packer to a trailhead, thus a sort of monopoly situation
Wow, you could buy your own horse for that money.. Don't.. Just don't.. ;)
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

Yes, for High Sierra Packers to get to the lip of Evolution Meadow would be a full day and so charge two days RT for a food drop (they've got another 5 miles one way to go around Florence Lake vs. you going over on the ferry). I would think Muir Trail Ranch could do the round trip to Evolution Meadow in a day. They're about 8 miles from there (one way). Some packers set a 15 or so mile limit for a one day trip. Not sure about the ranch but definitely check with them. Normal charge for all packers is the packer, his or her horse, and the pack mule. So $350 day is about average.

g.

PS: maybe advertise here for the dates you're going in and split the cost. I wouldn't mention that to the packer. They charge the same fee even if there's a couple of customers going to the same place... .
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

gdurkee wrote:Yes, for High Sierra Packers to get to the lip of Evolution Meadow would be a full day and so charge two days RT for a food drop (they've got another 5 miles one way to go around Florence Lake vs. you going over on the ferry). I would think Muir Trail Ranch could do the round trip to Evolution Meadow in a day. They're about 8 miles from there (one way). Some packers set a 15 or so mile limit for a one day trip. Not sure about the ranch but definitely check with them. Normal charge for all packers is the packer, his or her horse, and the pack mule. So $350 day is about average.

g.

PS: maybe advertise here for the dates you're going in and split the cost. I wouldn't mention that to the packer. They charge the same fee even if there's a couple of customers going to the same place... .
Thanks for the tip! :)
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Check in at the local airport and see if you can get a pilot to drop a dry bag into a lake
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

cmon4day wrote:Check in at the local airport and see if you can get a pilot to drop a dry bag into a lake
Please don't even think of it! Air drops are strictly prohibited in all Wilderness Areas and National Parks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Re-evaluate your trip and why you need a food drop resupply. Although carrying 10+ days food may slow you down a bit, after half is eaten, you can do more miles. I have done 14 day trips without resupply. If you prefer lighter pack and going fast on the entire trip, then just build in a day to go to a trailhead or town for resupply. Horse packers generally are not allowed to just drop a resupply; they may be required to actually meet you, and most would not simply drop off food even if it was legal. Resupplies require precise trip planning and are expensive. I would rather have more flexibility and just walk out when needed or carry more food.
larree0
Topix Acquainted

Post by larree0 »

We had Fred Ross Lost Valley Packers do spot packing for fishing trips in the area years ago.
They could take gear/food as far as steel bridge for a "one packer-day" charge. They stowed the stuff in 5 gal bucket so you don't have to meet them at drop off point.
Of course, they may have a diff operation now. Beautiful areas up there.