Picaradin, Insect Repellant

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Picaradin, Insect Repellant

Post by longri »

Which "newest" study are you referring to?

One of those mentioned in the article (Rodriguez, Oct 2015) didn't include Picaridin.

Victoria's Secret... you need to wear the clothes for the perfume to be effective.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by seanr »

maverick wrote:Newest bug spray study: http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod ... rom-biting
I have used both the Lemon Eucalyptus spray and DEET. I found both to work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

seanr wrote:I have used both the Lemon Eucalyptus spray and DEET. I found both to work.
Did you note any disadvantages with the lemon eucalyptus oil? I've never tried it.

That study found it to be equally effective as 100% DEET after 4 hours. But the manufacturer estimated effective time was 10 hours for the 100% DEET and 6 hours for the 30% eucalyptus oil.

One thing they didn't investigate in that study was quantity. They used a specific volume (half a milliliter) on a subject's hand as the attractant but didn't try to figure out the effective dose required per skin surface area per time. I guess that's kind of complicated but it's what I care about. I don't want to carry anything I don't need and want to minimize the weight of what I do need. It's why I take 100% DEET -- it lasts longer than the weakest solutions and it can be diluted in the field on your skin if the insect challenge isn't great.

Mosquitoes are really just a minor annoyance in the Sierra. When malaria reaches California I'll change my tune.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Well, then there was that time, out in John Muir Wilderness, when I sprayed DEET on the back of my bare hand and immediately three mosquitoes flew right down and landed on my still-wet hand. While my permethrin treated shirt collected more of them.

But if the swarm is bad, I suspect they are everywhere -- on tents, on trees, on rocks, or it certainly seemed so. All the sprays do is keep them from detecting you. If they are so thick they are running into you, and the only way that works is submersing yourself in the nearest lake and staying there....

I lost my headnet on the trail the day before, and so was really, really unhappy. We left. 1000 feet of elevation drop to the Kings River later, we encountered... two mosquitoes. Quickly swatted.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

maverick wrote:Newest bug spray study: http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod ... rom-biting
Very interesting.
But DEET isn't the only weapon. Products containing the active ingredients picaridin and IR 3535 are as effective, says Strickman. And repellents with any of those active ingredients are recommended as safe and effective by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They are widely available around the world.

Actually, Strickman gives the edge to picardin.

"Picaridin is a little more effective than DEET and seems to keep mosquitoes at a greater distance," he says. When people use DEET, mosquitoes may land on them but not bite. When they use a product containing picaridin, mosquitoes are less likely to even land. Repellents with IR 3535 are slightly less effective, Strickman says, but they don't have the strong smell of other products.
ltm01
Topix Novice

Post by ltm01 »

Would you advise using repellent in Sequoia NP during mid August? I'll be walking from Lodgepole to Little Five Lakes.
Thank you.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

ltm01,

Doubt you will need repellant but I never leave home without it.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have tried nearly all the repellants and dislike all. I tend to get nausea from strong smells and the "natural" ones actually make me sicker. I carry a small bit of DEET and rarely use it. My method is to cover up: head net, garden gloves, long sleeves, "insect shield" clothing and pants that are floppy loose so skeeters cannot bite me. Another big help, is to quickly jump into icy cold water at the end of each hiking day. Seems like hot sweaty skin is more appealing to mosquitoes. The trick is to stay submerge in the cold water long enough so your skin is cold when you get out, quickly dry off and cover up. I usually get a few bites in the process, but at least the swarms stay away.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

I just bought some all natural stuff at REI that I'm going to try on my upcoming trip . It's a combination of various natural oils. I'm going to bring 100 % DEET as a back up and old stand by. It's nasty stuff, but I've found it's the only thing that works in heavy, heavy mesquito areas. I'll report back on how well the natural stuff woks ! I'm going into the Emigrant this coming Friday, could be a mosquito nightmare
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

I bought and tried the Picardin a few times now and thought I would report back. Overall, it works pretty good, but I feel like you really need to lather it on and re-apply often, whereas with the DEET I felt like a few sprays did the job and would last longer. Although, the DEET smells much stronger and offensive to me, as well as to the skeeters, where the Picardin I would hardly notice.

First real test was with masses of aggressive, blood thirsty mosquitoes along the River Trail. The Picardin would give some relief, but I was sorta wishing I brought the DEET by the end.

I also used it on an outing to Mt Bago and Marie Lakes area, where the mosquito's were obviously out and about, but not nearly as aggressive. Here the Picardin kept them off me and provided just about total relief.

So, overall, not quite as effective as the DEET in my experience, but I think I do like it a bit better. If it turns out to not be any less toxic, at least it doesn't smell quite as toxic
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/