Sun gloves?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sun gloves?

Post by BSquared »

As I age, I notice that I'm getting pigment-free areas on my hands that burn very, very easily, especially at high altitudes (of course). A friend of mine whom I sometimes hike with has started wearing sun gloves. =; What experience have others here had with sun gloves? Any particularly recommend brands or styles? Ones to avoid? My hands also tend to get quite hot when hiking, especially with poles—ah, yes, and I do use hiking poles and have heard that some sun gloves tend to wear out very fast under these conditions (REI review of Outdoor Research "Spectrum" gloves). So: the cooler the better, reasonable durability, and SPF a billion or so ;).
—B²
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sun gloves?

Post by freestone »

Same kind of hands. Last year I got some cheap white cotton gloves from the drug store and cut the tips of the fingers off and that made a huge difference with the condion and comfort of my hands with very little weight penalty. It also added comfort and protection from the trekking pole handles. This year I purchased a pair of Glacier sun protection gloves from Amazon and now swear by them. Great for fishing too.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I have a couple of pairs in different stages of decay. Am now about to push the button on a pair of Outdoor Research sun sleeves, on Amazon. My arms are just as bad as the backs of the hands.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I have been using cheap cotton gardening gloves for the past few years. Work fine and the way I misplace things the only way to go! If I don't lose them they are good for a season. Also whatever you choose do not leave them out for critters to chew on as they are certain to pick up some salt from sweat.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

We use nylon lab glove liners. Only 16g/pair. Slippery - better take one off before handling a camera. Durable - see picture how they held up after a few weeks of hiking. The large size has too short fingers, but it doesn't bother me when hiking.
IMG_2990-post.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

I purchased a couple styles of Glacier Gloves from Amazon. Both are fingerless. One is a thin, light weight material that has performed well, with or without the use of hiking poles. The other is a more insulated type of glove, and in limited use, has worked well for fishing.
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings

I've got a system that works great for protection from the sun.

While hiking, I wear an ultra-light weight, light colored long sleeved shirt of some sort. For the past couple of years it's been Patagonia's lightest capilene base layer. I also use trekking poles. Then for my hands, I have two bandannas, which I place over my hands, slip through the loops on the handle of my trekking poles, and grab the poles. The two bandannas also keep the handles of my trekking poles from getting sweaty, and there's plenty of ventilation around them unlike gloves.

Along with a wide-brimmed hat, this keeps me protected from the sun, and I don't have to goop up with sun protection lotions. Then around camp, the bandannas do their usual duty as potholders, neck warmer, etc. :thumbsup:
mlskn_needed
Topix Novice

Post by mlskn_needed »

After I sunburned my hands due to my hiking pole straps wiping off the sunscreen, I started using my Giro Rivet mountain bike gloves. They're full fingered but have great dexterity; I can tie my boot laces wearing them. The version I have are all synthetic and dry quickly.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

I've been using the Outdoor Research sun gloves for a couple of seasons; not much to say - they work really well, dry fast and are very light.

Do get dirty, but then I have the unappealing habit of wiping my mouth with them so they get gummed up with lip balm and so on....