Memorial Weekend Suggestions 2 nights

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Memorial Weekend Suggestions 2 nights

Post by brandy »

I have permits for Little Lakes Valley this weekend and I have been stalking instagram and weather forecasts. Looks like the chance of more snow this week and the possibility of thunderstorms coming for this weekend. I will keep an eye on it throughout the week, but I would love to have a plan b in place in case this forecast sticks. I have answered the questions below based on my travel partner who has never been backpacking before. Thank you!

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 1- Minimal hiking

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead? 2 nights 3 days

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers? 3-5

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)? Loop or out and back

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in (Yosemite, SEKI western sierra start or eastern start ect.)? Western...since the forecast in the eastern sierra looks iffy for this weekend...but open to anything lower than LLV.

Will you be hiking with a dog? No
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Memorial Weekend Suggestions 2 nights

Post by balzaccom »

With the weather changing, there are no easy answers here. You might look at something lower on the West Side, like the Ladybug Trail in Sequoia. But I would play it by ear as the day (and storms) approach.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Brandy,

Would recommend that you skip going to the Sierra this weekend, the weather will be snowy in the high Sierra and thunderstorms/rain at lower elevations, neither condition is a good way to introduce someone to backpacking. Ventana WIlderness near Big Sur is a good place, and the weather will be perfect this weekend. http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView?WID=625
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

Hi Maverick...I'm a Big Sur fan, but I have never backpacked there. I will look into that area.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Latest NWS forecast is pushing the big trough east with only effects by Saturday from a subsequent low pressure up north possibly grazing northern areas of the Central Sierra. A long ways off still so stayed tuned but minimally reads breezy.
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Its looking like snow stops on Thursday, and it should be really nice over the weekend....

Im thinking of driving to Pinecrest Friday night and then talking with the Rangers Sat morning, then either heading into Immigrant, or to Lost Lake, or car camping at Clark Fork and going on day hikes depending on snow levels.

Any thoughts?
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

I am still seeing chance of snow and thunderstorms through Monday in Little Lakes Valley where we have permits, so we are steering clear. :(
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Things start clearing up from Friday on, from Yosemite and up.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Have a nice trip Brandy up at MH.

Just checked the latest NWS weather forecasts, now 10:30pm Wednesday. For many working people, tomorrow Thursday is gear and pack up day with Friday the get-away-day. So we are now close to decision time.

Saturday thru Monday show some precipitation from the Sierra Crest areas eastward due to a trough that is going to set up in the northern Great Basin that is northern Nevada. Less crest precip further south than Bishop. Saturday winds down in Owens Valley look minor while not so at crest areas. Sunday however shows very windy and then Monday winds have slacked to moderate.

Well west of the crest looks ok, mostly sunny over the 3 days though at times could be breezy in afternoons. But it does show most mornings less so.

The coast is looking windy except early mornings when it may also be foggy. However the forecast trend has been showing less wind than they were forecasting. Mediocre weekend for photographers to go up into our far northern redwood forests that offer rhododendron now because too sunny, too and somewhat breezy.

Generally will advise people target the 4k to 7k elevations of western Sierra slopes. This holiday weekend will be a fine time to hike up the Merced from Happy Isles to Nevada Fall if one is on the trail early morning. Or likewise be down at Hetchy Hetchy for a hike along the reservoir. Or down in Kings Canyon or Giant Forest.
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

Dave, you're the best. Thank you for your guidance!