Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin area?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Post by d_silva1 »

tim wrote:Muir Trail Ranch say on their website they will haul stuff up to Evolution Valley (not Basin I think). We saw an older couple being packed up to there on our trip (I think they stayed at the Ranch too on the way in and maybe out as well).
Thanks for this tip.
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

AlmostThere wrote:I hiked a nice bag of food and whiskey up to Junction Meadow one year, for someone. But I have to really like you to do that kind of thing without drinking the whiskey along the way. ;)
I certainly do not mind donating the Whiskey :)
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

AlmostThere wrote:Check out the options for High Sierra Packers.
http://www.highsierrapackstations.com/trip_options.html

You could have them just take you and all your gear in to Evolution and drop you. Would take less than a day for them to get you there, and then you'd have plenty of time to wander around.
Actually, according to their web site, it is up to an 8 hour trip. I'm assuming that means one way. this you have to pay for packer plus two horse for two days. Tht is expensive. I'm hoping we can just add ten puonds of food to an existing trip.

"Evolution Valley, in Kings Canyon National Park, features good stream fishing, and gorgeous scenery including lush meadows, waterfalls, and panoramic views. This is a 7 to 8 hour ride."
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

d_silva1 wrote:

You could have them just take you and all your gear in to Evolution and drop you. Would take less than a day for them to get you there, and then you'd have plenty of time to wander around.
Actually, according to their web site, it is up to an 8 hour trip. I'm assuming that means one way. this you have to pay for packer plus two horse for two days. Tht is expensive. I'm hoping we can just add ten puonds of food to an existing trip.

"Evolution Valley, in Kings Canyon National Park, features good stream fishing, and gorgeous scenery including lush meadows, waterfalls, and panoramic views. This is a 7 to 8 hour ride."
Yes, they would spend the night, but 7-8 hours is still leaving part of the day for the customer to set up camp. That's about what I hike in a day, starting at around 8 am, and when we roll into camp at 3-4, we fish and play in the water and set up, have dinner, etc.

In any case, the cost being the sticking point, you might be able to network up some backpackers to help you carry it. Not everyone is an ultralighter and there are a lot of people who love that part of the JMT - me included. (But my long trips are all planned out for the year, so not this year, for me.)

I would call the packer anyway, since they know their schedule and their client list, and inquire about whether anyone else is packing up to where you want to be - or anywhere along the JMT in that section - and see if they ever get clients together to share the cost. And I would post on backpacking forums looking for information about anyone who might be willing to pack your stuff in for you, ask interested parties to send a private message to you -- possibly there may be someone willing to do it if you reimburse them for gas to get to the trailhead. It's an opportunity for a backpacker to get a "free" trip to a gorgeous area.
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

Just called. Dropping off anything up to Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight: $375. Anything past Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight, $750.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

marksfor, for a decade+ don't believe horse packers have been able to go above Anvil Camp and after the recent trail wash out ravine a few years ago were not able reach there though that has maybe been repaired? Shepherd Pass is 12060. Anvil Camp is 10060 or 2k below. The top of the pass has long been subject to rockfall and its steep snowfield tends to last well into summer.

Looks like I am going to be following you two a few days later. But am older than you two and will be carrying more weight as is my punishment by just going slow and stopping frequently. Having to hike the bottom section after enduring the 8am ranger station sermon then driving to the trailhead, and starting in mid morning heat is what scares me.

I'd bet if you advertised in the Bishop newspaper you will pay 2 strong local hikers $300 each to hike with you two up to the pass carrying your packs that you would get some takers considering how there are some really fit types over there that are unemployed.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

SSSdave wrote: I'd bet if you advertised in the Bishop newspaper you will pay 2 strong local hikers $300 each to hike with you two up to the pass carrying your packs that you would get some takers considering how there are some really fit types over there that are unemployed.
Dave,
Problem is that we will be entering from Horseshoe Meadows 10 days prior...sort of an off-trail, raft-fishing trip - (BTW, Mike made up our itinerary, as usual).
Plan (as I understand it, but always subject to trail change/daily whims) is to carry 10 days food in to start, NAP, hit Miter Basin, over Crabtree, the Wrights, Lake South America?... then who knows? Hopefully another week or so exploring/fishing after the re-supply too. Unfortunately, cannot afford to feed 2 strong hikers for 10 days.
Would be nice to cross paths though...will keep an eye out for ya.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Markskor: Why not just hike in a cache (in canisters) some weekend prior to your trip? I know it's not legal but... it's what I would do.

Ideally you'll find someone who will carry it in for you for a reasonable fee. There must be some locals like that. I'd do it if I were over there and had a free day. It sounds like a fun day hike to me.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

Just called the pack station for this area. Dropping off anything up to Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight: $375. Anything past Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight, $750. Seems not quite right in that they could easily add 10 lbs. to an existing trip, rather than charge me two horse and a packer for just 10 pounds. But, yes, I know, it is their business and they set the rules, and there is only one packer to a trailhead, thus a sort of monopoly situation