Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin area?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by d_silva1 »

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Post by rlown »

can you be more specific on your trip and requirements? Like, When, Why the resupply there?

Welcome to the HST!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi D_Silva,

Welcome to HST! Are you planning a thru hike, or something different? Why not get a resupply at Muir Ranch? You could possibly get a packer to do food drop, but the cost would be ridiciously expensive.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Friend who hikes, maybe. Or a packer. And you would have to be there, on the spot, to meet them as there is a ranger present all season and they don't like food drops stored in lockers. But it's a day of walking from MTR, so ???
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

Thanks for all the replies! Not sure how to rply to each separately, so I'll reply to all three.

rlown: Plan to go in via Florence Lake and return same way. But my wife and I are older, have been using very small light weight packs, and cannot carry more than 5 days food. We'd like to spend maybe 3 extra days explore Evolution and Darwin Canyon, so that makes it maybe a 9 day trip. that's why we're looking for food drop.

Almost There and Maverick: yes, I'll call packers re: drop. I've heard you have to be there in person to pick up, so seems might be difficult to coordinate exact spot and time. Anyone know the pack station out of Florence?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

maverick wrote: You could possibly get a packer to do food drop, but the cost would be ridiculously expensive.
Just a side note but similar request, an addition...
Mike and I will be also needing a food drop - re supply delivered to top of Shepard pass on Sat. July 22...maybe 30 pounds.
Mike has tried a few outfits...no luck so far.
What do you think will/should be a fair - ridiculously expensive cost for this? ($300? - more?) Could be either via packers as using 1 add-on mule from another trip/same time, or by a private individual?
Just wondering if even possible?
Any suggestions?
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Check out the options for High Sierra Packers.
http://www.highsierrapackstations.com/trip_options.html

You could have them just take you and all your gear in to Evolution and drop you. Would take less than a day for them to get you there, and then you'd have plenty of time to wander around.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

To Markskor - seems like I have heard somewhere a daily rate for a guide at $300/day, though that might not be current. For someone to hike to Shepherd and back it would be a full day for sure. Though of course we all know that you would never (nudge, nudge, wink,wink) pay anyone other than a fully authorized individual to do such a thing.
Wish I had the time I would be glad to do it.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I hiked a nice bag of food and whiskey up to Junction Meadow one year, for someone. But I have to really like you to do that kind of thing without drinking the whiskey along the way. ;)
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Muir Trail Ranch say on their website they will haul stuff up to Evolution Valley (not Basin I think). We saw an older couple being packed up to there on our trip (I think they stayed at the Ranch too on the way in and maybe out as well).