A lightweight waterproof jacket for a woman with hips

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

A lightweight waterproof jacket for a woman with hips

Post by Kerstin »

Hi everybody. I'm in the market for a new waterproof jacket but I'm having a lot of trouble finding one that fits. The problem is, I have hips. I'm not overweight, but am not skinny either, and even when I'm in very good shape the hips are still there.

I've been going into stores and trying on jackets. I can't zip up even the large women's jackets. They just don't fit around my hips. If I can zip them up, then they are extremely snug.

I've been hiking and backpacking since my teens and have saved my old, worn out goretex jackets. I would use them but they are full of holes, delaminated or just plain heavy and poorly designed. What is weird is these old jackets fit me just fine! I have a Moonstone jacket I purchased in 1990. It's size medium. It fits perfectly still. My delaminated North Face jacket, purchased in 1983, fits just fine around my hips too. It's also size medium.

It seems that the jackets that are made these days are cut quite small in the hips. Does using less fabric save the companies money or something? I've tried on Arcteryx, North Face, Patagonia, Lowe, Marmot, Cloudveil and a few others. None of them fit!

I've tried a few men's jackets but the sleeves are always several inches too long. I'm getting really frustrated because I have been searching for a new jacket for several years now with no luck. Right now I'm using a Lowe jacket that's ill-fitting, bulky and full of holes.

I'm thinking of giving up and going back to my Moonstone jacket. Sure it weighs two pounds, has fabric that absorbs water instantly, and has a metal button that freezes to my lower lip in cold conditions but at least I can zip it up! :lol:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone! :)
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kerstin »

I'm thinking of purchasing a new jacket and sewing a few panels in it to widen the hip area...hmmmm. All it would take is a few inches of fabric.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Kerstin wrote:I'm thinking of purchasing a new jacket and sewing a few panels in it to widen the hip area...hmmmm. All it would take is a few inches of fabric.
Sewing in some patches may work, or buy a men's jacket and shorten the sleeves...but I don't know about you but cutting into a newly bought jacket just gives me the chills :paranoid: . You brought up sewing....if you have a sewing machine, a little experience, and some time, sewing your own from scratch isn't too far fetched...I've sewn several of my jackets with good results and at a fraction of the cost of a new one, and you can customize the pattern to fit your needs or use an older jacket you liked as the pattern. Just a thought. :)
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ranboze »

Kerstin, I have very similar complaints about women's jackets (which also means I too have big hips). I have on older (circa 2000) REI rain jacket, medium which is plenty roomy in the hips. The other great advantage of this jacket is the double zipper, which means I can unzip it from the bottom, giving more room for the hips. In my quest for a newer, lighter weight rain jacket, I have not found any with a double zipper, but the following two women's jackets did fit ok: Marmot Precip (11 oz) and Arctryx Theta AR (22 oz). I got both in a women's large (Im small framed, big hips, and like my clothes loose). They both cover my hips and zip up.

On a side note, I frequently will buy men's shirts because women's tops are just toooooo short. But, like you said, in these jackets, the arms are just too long.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I'm sure you won't want to buy the Marmot Precip jacket mentioned above without trying one on for fit but someone posted this on another site so I thought I would pass it on here. Limited sizes but a very good price.
Gary C.

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Sessi ... rodId/1007

When I first posted they still had extra large :(
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Hi Kerstin,
Have you tried the DriDucks? They have some advantages - cheap ($20 for the jacket and pants,) lightweight (about 6 ounces for a jacket), waterproof and quite breathable. They fit big, baggy and not really very well on anyone - but what can you expect for $20 :) I love mine actually - the jacket even in size small is big enough to fit over layers, is long enough to go well over my hips and yes the sleeves are long but can be rolled up. Not exactly a fashion statement for wearing around town, but great for backpacking. I bought mine from Backbacking Light, although I think you can find them other places as Frog Toggs or Micropore.