Suggestions Near Sacramento

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whiskeyguy
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Suggestions Near Sacramento

Post by whiskeyguy »

Thanks for all the great advice, this is exactly what I was looking for... Just needed an idea for where to start looking.

I'm going to look through the suggestions this weekend and set up a dozen or so trips so I can hit the road when the rare weekend off comes up.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

I live near Sac and have 25 hiking guidebooks related to trails within 2 to 3 hours from Sac. I am getting ready to move to WA and am interested in selling them. Like new condition-good price.
michaelgrosse
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by michaelgrosse »

These might be a bit beyond the 2 hour drive time.

Caples Creek/Silver Fork off of Silver Fork Road that you access via Highway 50 and turning onto at Kyburz. In addition to there being campgrounds along the road, there is also a possibility of a nice little loop hike connecting the two trails, there are ways to extend it, where if you had another person you could access Highway 88 and Thunder Mountain which you can extend to Blue Lakes...ok maybe a bit much for short jaunts, but as others have stated, there are a lot of trips to be had...

Cache Creek area is good for late fall through early spring.

East Carson River/High Trail just off of HIghway 4.