Mystery Spot

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Mystery Spot

Post by oldranger »

no. Remember, no name!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Hmmm small low res image dawn/dusk on a murky flat overcast day, little terrain clues in background. Unless someone has been there not a place others are likely to identify. Heavily glaciated granite zone, lodgepole pines, some mountain hemlock on ridge. Vaccinium caespitosum on left mid lower frame edge if camera color can be trusted, says at least end of August into September and with the noted tree species puts elevation above 9k. Trouble is there are huge numbers of no name lakes on topos many of which almost no explorers visit, well unless. Unless...my suspicion is this one of those fewer no names lakes that has trout because that is where oldranger goes. So lake would also have some depth. The look of the landscape seems to me to be more like Yosemite than the craggy peaks far south. And if in Yosemite and if it has trout, that would tend to mean it was either an Eastern brook trout lake without a significant inlet stream or more likely is one of the minority rainbow lakes with a stream capable of supporting spawning. But then it may just be a ho hum body of water on the way to a lake those guys were on their way to.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Dave

Your thinking is right on! Clue is that view is to NE! Ridge in background does have named peaks But not sure if they are visible in pic.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
subyhiker
Topix Newbie

Post by subyhiker »

Bull Run Lake?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

subs

NO Name lake!
Mike

bigd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bigd »

Is the background ridge/peak Price Peak in No. Yosemite? Seavy Pass area lakes?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Big D

I'm not sure weather I should answer first question but answer to 2nd question is no!

Mike
Mike

bigd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bigd »

It took me a while. And yes I cheated using Google Earth, though I knew it was around the Benson Lake area. Small lake to the east of Miller lake.

http://www.closedcontour.com/sps/?zoom= ... 8&layers=B
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

bigd

Using google earth isn't cheating! It is using the tools you had at hand plus the logic sssdave helped to get you in the right general location.

You are up!
Mike

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

BigD--your turn to post a photo!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963