Does Onion Valley have snow in late May

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Does Onion Valley have snow in late May

Post by Solace-seeker »

Hello Everyone,
I was thinking of going on a day hike to possibly Madlock Lake. The trailhead at Onion Valley starts at 9000 feet I believe. I don't have boots to hike in the snow and didn't know if it is snowed in. Would I be able to get there with regular hiking boots? Thank you.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Does Onion Valley have snow in late May

Post by seanr »

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=73570
I was up to the pass this morning (5/18). Nothing deep enough for snowshoes or even to suggest use of gaiters. I was glad to have my ice axe for the last few hundred meters below the pass. Good boot track or dry trail from Matlock Lake area on. Gilbert Lake is 75% thawed. Others above it are still frozen as were Kearsarge Lakes on the west side. Bullfrog showing about 20% thawed.
So, Matlock Lake should be reachable as long as you are satisfied with however forecasts and weather play out when you hope to hike.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Does Onion Valley have snow in late May

Post by Solace-seeker »

Thank you Seanr for the quick reply. Your information was very helpful. Much appreciated!