TR: Rancheria Falls (5/14/16-5/15/16)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scrotata
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Rancheria Falls (5/14/16-5/15/16)

Post by scrotata »

This past weekend I made a very quick trip to Rancheria Falls.

On Saturday (5/14) morning I left Santa Rosa at 3:00 am and made it to the gate at 6:58 am - just before it opened. I then met several friends who had stayed the night at the backpackers camp at Hetch Hetchy. The trail in was very nice, Wampana Falls was flowing and we got soaked going across the bridges on the trail. After a leisurely hike, we make it to Rancheria Falls, set up camp and then wandered along the river taking pictures of the good water flow. After a great meal of dehydrated turkey chili (that I dehydrated on Thursday night \:D/), chimichurri rice (that I dehydrated on Thursday night \:D/ ), fresh avocado, tomato and cilantro, a squeeze of lime and tapatio, I took some evening pictures and then got an awesome nights sleep.

Next morning, after coffee and oatmeal, I left the group behind and headed out to the trailhead. Made it in just over 2 hours and then was in the car, didn't stop until I was in my driveway at 3:45 p.m. All in all, the trip was just over 36 hours, about 16 miles of hiking and some awesome scenery. I didn't see any bears this time - last time I was there in 2010 - I saw 4!!

Here are a few pictures.
IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Rancheria Falls (5/14/16-5/15/16)

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures, good to see the waterfalls booming.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cinestir
Topix Newbie

Post by cinestir »

Thanks for the TR. Nice shots! Might I inquire as to what camera/lens you were using? HDR?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Cinestir,

Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
scrotata
Topix Acquainted

Post by scrotata »

Hey Cinestir -

Thanks for the kind words! Camera is a Nikon D7000 and lens is the Nikon 10-24mm and then edits are made in lightroom.
cinestir
Topix Newbie

Post by cinestir »

Thanks Maverick. Love the site! I have already received such useful information from posters such as yourself and Wandering Daisy. Hope I can contribute - will be taking a couple friends up the GCY starting Monday (now that Tioga is open) and will post a TR and bug report ASAP.

And thanks scrotata. Your shots are not only well composed and full of vibrance, but also convey emotion, which is a talent. Cheers!
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Nice! Way to get some time in the mountains over a single weekend. I need to do that. Sweet photos too.