Late summer 3 day suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Late summer 3 day suggestions

Post by maverick »

I'd like to drive in, arriving in the afternoon. I'll stop and pick up my permit and then camp at the trailhead and start early in the morning.
So to clarify, does the evening spent at the trailhead count as one of the 3 nights you have, or is this on top of the 3 nights you want to spend in the backcountry? How long is your ride from Phoenix?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthewkphx »

maverick wrote:
I'd like to drive in, arriving in the afternoon. I'll stop and pick up my permit and then camp at the trailhead and start early in the morning.
So to clarify, does the evening spent at the trailhead count as one of the 3 nights you have, or is this on top of the 3 nights you want to spend in the backcountry? How long is your ride from Phoenix?
Nope! Here's the plan:

Friday: leave Phoenix early, drive to Sierra, get permit, sleep at trailhead
Saturday: hike
Sunday: hike
Monday: hike pretty close to car
Tuesday: hit the car by mid-morning, drive back to Phoenix.

(A little secret: I have 12 of these in a row! Not that I'm going backpacking every weekend but I suspect I'll come out to the Sierra several times)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the additional information Matthew.
- Agnew Meadows>Ediza Lake>1000 Is Lake>High Trail>Agnew Meadows
- Convict Lake>Mildred Lake>Bighorn Lake>Clover Leaf lake
- McGee Lakes Basin
- Pioneer Lakes Basin out of Rock Creek
- Horton Lakes
- Sabrina Lake>Emerald Lakes>Midnight Lake
- Big Pine North Fork>3rd Lake>Summit Lake or 5th Lake>Palisades Glacier
- Birch Lake
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Awesome! Thanks Maverick.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Onion Valley is the logical TH to quickly get to the high country. The lakes on the east side are also spectacular. Matlock Lake is very scenic. Heart Lake has good fishing. I have not been to Golden Trout Lakes. Someone else here may have something to say about these lakes. Kearsarge Lakes scenic and fair fishing. More secluded campsites on the outlet end of Lake 3321. Rae Lakes within range if you can do long mile days.

I have been able to get a walk-in cancellation permit for the Whitney area, after Labor Day. You would have to have a "Plan B" in case this does not work out.

It may be a little too far north, but Taboose Pass takes you to the lake basin west of Striped Basin, and Bench Lake and the Lake Marjorie area. There is camping and water along the trail to Taboose Pass, if you cannot make it in a day. The trail is quite spectacular too, even before you get to your destinations. This suggestion assumes you are willing (and like to) do a rigorous, large elevation gain day to get in.

Farther north, but worth the drive, would be Big Pine Creek - First through Seventh Lakes. This is an easy to get to spectacular compact basin.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Any thoughts on Duck Pass to Silver Pass and back?

I loved Silver Pass and would enjoy seeing it again but I'm imagining it will be much busier in late July than it was mid-June last year.