5-7 day Seq/KC trip ideas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lost in texas
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by lost in texas »

Roughly how many days and miles would a South Lake to Kearsarge Pass shuttle take? How does the scenery traveling south from South Lake, as compared to the discussed South-North Lake options?

Is there an optimal time to travel as far as mosquitoes are concerned?

BTW, enjoyed the pictures of Palisades Basin Nymph. Looking at those helped me understand the area and the type of travel required much better than reading a trail guide.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

South Lake to Kearsarge Pass can make for a fairly easy 7 days. I recommend the "short cut" from Dusy Basin through Palisade Basin and over Cirque Pass to catch the JMT but I enjoy x-country hiking through alpine country. But if you prefer trail all the way you won't be disappointed with LeConte Canyon.

This section has a lot of up and down. You cross 5 passes on your trek (7 if you take the short cut) but if you are prepared for that the scenery is hard to beat Dusy Basin, Palisade Lakes, the view of the Palisades from Mather Pass, Rae Lakes with Fin Dome as a backdrop, and more. You'll be walking ~8 miles a day, suggest checking with Parchers to see if they have a cabin available for one night (even one night at 8k will help with the first day's hike up Bishop Pass).

Steve
Lightning Dog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Lightning Dog »

Four of us did the Rae Lakes Loop last September in 4 days clockwise from Roads End after not backpacking for 30+ years. I was the youngest at 47. Great side trips available on this one if you have more days. Views were spactacular - Fin Dome and Painted Lady at sunrise.
The Onion Valley hike to Rae Lakes from the East as suggested earlier would have lots of side options. Especially if you can get picked up at Roads End.
lost in texas
Topix Novice

Post by lost in texas »

OK so after much deliberation and research I believe I have locked on a plan. With the intent of less miles, sufficient adventure and passing through as many scenic areas as possible in seven days.

We start in North Lake and travel over the Lamarck Col and into Evolution Basin. Over Muir Pass and down into LeConte Canyon and up to Palisade Lakes, wrapping up with a traverse thru Palisades Basin to Dusy Basin and ending at South Lake via Bishop Pass.

I was considering a trip down to Goddard Canyon and back to the JMT with a trip thru Ionian Basin, but felt to travel less miles and go thru the Evolution Basin and allow for time to take the JMT to Palisades Lake and Basin. Any thoughts on a trip thru Ionian and jettisoning the southern swing to Palisades Lake/Basin?

Anyone have a guess as to how much snow should there be over Lamarck in late June?
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

lost in texas wrote:OK so after much deliberation and research I believe I have locked on a plan. With the intent of less miles, sufficient adventure and passing through as many scenic areas as possible in seven days.

We start in North Lake and travel over the Lamarck Col and into Evolution Basin. Over Muir Pass and down into LeConte Canyon and up to Palisade Lakes, wrapping up with a traverse thru Palisades Basin to Dusy Basin and ending at South Lake via Bishop Pass.

I was considering a trip down to Goddard Canyon and back to the JMT with a trip thru Ionian Basin, but felt to travel less miles and go thru the Evolution Basin and allow for time to take the JMT to Palisades Lake and Basin. Any thoughts on a trip thru Ionian and jettisoning the southern swing to Palisades Lake/Basin?

Anyone have a guess as to how much snow should there be over Lamarck in late June?
Ionian Basin is very scenic in a savagely wild way (the only drawback is that all of the lakes are fishless). It is however very rugged off trail backpacking (it has been said there is absolutely nothing flat in Ionian Basin and I would second that) and a route that way would certainly take more time than your southern swing. Lamarck may have quite a bit of snow, but it won't be a technical issue. It may make things more of a slog if the sun cups are well developed and the snowfields to be crossed are extensive.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StumbleBum
Topix Acquainted

Post by StumbleBum »

I did a rt in that area (Bishop Pass - Dusy Basin - LeConte - Palisade Lakes - Potluck Pass - Knapsack Pass - Dusy Basin - Bishop Pass) a few years ago. I loved that trip - lots of varied scenery/terain.

I remember watching a couple trying to decend the east side of Potluck Pass and getting all messed up in the benches to the north part of the pass (the rt is more to the south side). We tried to call out to them that they were going the wrong way - but they couldn't seem to hear us. They made it, but had to use ropes to get down the last bit.
Steve Bearman
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve Bearman »

I agree with Brookie about Ionian Basin. I happen to love it, but it is very severe, moon-like, all metamorphic rock.

I think you will get more enjoyment out of your Palisade Basin arc. The northeast side of Upper Barrett Lake has some stunning camp areas.

As far as the beginning goes, getting over Lamarck Col on your first day out, with packs full and lungs unacclimated, can be tough. There is a campable tarn right before it if you can stand the altitude.

Evolution Lake is one of my favorite spots. I recommend camping on the little peninsula with two humps, either between the humps, or, even better, out on the end of the peninsula.