Late summer 3 day suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Late summer 3 day suggestions

Post by Matthewkphx »

Hi,

I've got a bunch of 5 day weekends in July, August and September. I hiked the JMT last summer and I'm hoping to make a couple trips back to the Sierra this summer. I live in Phoenix, AZ so the southern Sierra accessed from the east side is probably my best best.

I've already got a permit for Cottonwood lakes in September. I hope to summit Mount Langley.

Can anyone recommend any other areas for good 3 night trips? I'll probably want to keep the mileage relatively low, maybe 30ish miles give or take depending on altitude. Class I and easier Class II is fine. Loops are nice but I'm fine with out and back. I'll likely be solo so I'm less interested in trips that require shuttling/thumbing.

Thanks for your time and suggestions!
Last edited by Matthewkphx on Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Late summer 3 day suggestions

Post by maverick »

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

The first place that comes to mind is the Bishop Pass trail to Dusy Basin and then over Knapsack Pass to Palisade Basin. There are also good three day trips in Sabrina Basin. There are a lot of possible choices there among the lakes, trails, and short cross-country routes, all of them good. Check out the various trip reports posted here to see what appeals to you.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
snevill
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by snevill »

if you're hitting that same general areas of the southern/eastern Sierra, 3 night trips that come to mind:

- Miter Basin (out of Cottonwood/Horseshoe Meadows)
- Sabrina Basin
- North Fork Big Pine Creek
- Dusy Basin
- Ansel Adams Wilderness (if you're willing to drive up to the Mammoth area)

... if you post the info that is required in the posting requirements as to your abilities/experience/interests you will probably get more specific recommendations.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

My skill level is 2/3 based on the system here. I've spent 40-50 nights backpacking however I've done only a little cross-country travel. My goal for this summer is to get off-trail more. I can read maps.

I was fine at altitude on the JMT (SOBO) last summer but the acclimatization is easy/slow there.

My base weight is pretty light at about 9 pounds before a bear can.

I'm current on WFA.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Thanks for the recommendations snevill!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Which area are you driving from LA/SF/SAC? Park and hike or park, camp, and start hiking the next morning?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Wonder Lakes is a nice area and I think it'd be a good place for you to get comfortable hiking off trail.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

maverick wrote:Which area are you driving from LA/SF/SAC? Park and hike or park, camp, and start hiking the next morning?
I'll be driving in from Phoenix from the south.

I'd like to drive in, arriving in the afternoon. I'll stop and pick up my permit and then camp at the trailhead and start early in the morning.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

schmalz wrote:Wonder Lakes is a nice area and I think it'd be a good place for you to get comfortable hiking off trail.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have lots of googling to do tonight!