Acclimation Backpack, Valley to Tuolumnne?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Acclimation Backpack, Valley to Tuolumnne?

Post by rlown »

hmm. If it were me, i'd do 1 of 2 things.

1) hang out at Markskor's place and go on his daily hikes at altitude around one or two lakes.

or

2) I'd head to Saddlebag or one of the campgrounds on the Eastside of Yose, and then hike around the 20 lakes basin area.. It's flat, high enough, and a few "laps" should get you what you need B2

Kind of eliminates the permit issue, except for your final permit need (although you still need a permit for 20 lakes). What is that inevitable trip???? after you find your legs...?
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Excellent suggestions, all! Thanks much! I really don't like the Valley in summer either, because of the heat and the crowds, so it does seem to make more sense to take YARTS up to Tuolumne and find some place to go from there. IUnfortunately, it looks like the YARTS schedule would have me stuck in the Valley for most of a day, but I could probably use the time to see about next-day permits for any of the various Tuolumne trailheads (and of course *any* wilderness permit would give me the right to stay in the Tuolumne BP camp). I particularly like Wildhiker's and WD's suggestion of the Parker Pass/Mono Pass trailhead; haven't been up there for ... well, let's just say a long time, and it would be fun to revisit it after all these years.

Thanks again!
—B²
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Bill, t'wer me, I head to TM, get next day permit to head up Lyle fork, then head to Evelyn/Vogelsang area then down Raferty. As I recall you sometimes have issues with altitude and a couple of nights a TM before starting out might do you some good. After that spend as little time as possible down low or any benefits will be lost.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!