Thoughts on this loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Maryl
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Thoughts on this loop

Post by Maryl »

Reds opens up on the 23rd- we are heading up on the 26th. We will leave Reds take the Crater Creek trail to Tully then back into reds via The JMT. This will be my first in the area . Recon for a Sept fishing trip.
Anyway ... If you have experience in this neck what am I in for?

I'd love to take the minnow creek trail up to Purple lake but not sure on the crossings being that it is so early in the season. I don't want to get down the canyon them find I can't cross.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thoughts on this loop

Post by maverick »

Reds opens up on the 23rd- we are heading up on the 26th. We will leave Reds take the Crater Creek trail to Tully then back into reds via The JMT. This will be my first in the area . Recon for a Sept fishing trip.
Anyway ... If you have experience in this neck what am I in for?

I'd love to take the minnow creek trail up to Purple lake but not sure on the crossings being that it is so early in the season. I don't want to get down the canyon them find I can't cross.
To early.

According to the Wilderness Office in Mammoth, you must have information that they do not have, there has been no date set yet for the opening of the road. Also the trail you purpose doing will have considerable snow coverage, especially the tree covered sections and the higher elevation sections, and the area that are not, will have flooding.

There is a lot more snow than most people think, and they will be rudely surprised if trying to head into the Sierra during the Spring, we have a lot more snow compared to the last 4 years when we had drought conditions.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Maryl
Topix Novice

Post by Maryl »

Thanks... Meeting tomorrow with the crew ...Going to have to re-think this trip . Any suggestions?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »