Rae Lakes Loop in May?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rjones787
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Rae Lakes Loop in May?

Post by rjones787 »

Thanks Maverick! Based on what things will look like in May- do you think it would make sense to make a loop that goes up to Lake Vernon, up Branigan Creek, and then down Tiltill creek? I'm looking at some topo's, and that looks like it could be interesting. We're fishing the first two days (Vernon, Branigan) and then we have one more night to camp before we hike out, so I'm trying to make a loop that makes sense and is really pretty.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Getting from Vernon to Branagan will require you to cross Falls Creek, which you could do below Lake Vernon...but either way, you have some steep granite to climb up to get to Branagan. We came down Falls Creek to Vernon out of Jack Main Canyon--just about the steepest thing we've ever hiked down. And if you are close to the creek, that rock may be slippery. Be careful, both in climbing the granite and crossing any creeks.

here's photo of what we climbed down:

And Tiltill Valley will be a snow covered swamp in the afternoon. Not fun.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Forget about a loop or going to Brannigan or Jack Main Canyon. Three nights 4 days is much too little time and too much snow melt. In late May the creek is a raging torrent of whitewater that floods the floor of JMC. Great view of whitewater rapids where the creek drops down to the Vernon bench. You will be lucky to be able to cross at the Vernon outlet as the cement "bridge" is often under water early season. Since you want to fish I will suggest just going to Laurel Lake then Vernon Lake with a layover before hiking out the 11 miles. By time you hike the 8 miles 2800 feet up vertical and cross Frog Creek that may be a cold wade, you are not going to be doing much the rest of your day. Any fisherman that sees what is swimming in the creek behind Vernon will have no interest in going anywhere else.

Be prepared for lots of mosquitoes and black bears as they will be waiting for you at Beehive Meadow.
Last edited by SSSdave on Mon May 02, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I went up Tiltill Creek in late September 2011, a 200% snowpack year. Tiltill Creek is do-able with a few spots where I had to get wet. The upper part gets soggy as it nears Branigan Lake. There are lots of little ponds, and some brush. It takes some good micro-route finding abilities. I think I wrote a trip report about it. You can search the archives here. Although it was a fun September trip, I am not sure I would do it in May. It is perfect habitat for mosquitoes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I agree with SSS Dave-- my trip was 6 days, including driving. Why not just go to Rancheria Creek and camp. Then drop to Hetch Hetchy to fish. There are supposed to be big fish in Hetch Hetchy. There is a poor use-trail that drops to the lake level. You could also day-hike to Tiltill Valley. Or day-hike up to Rancheria Mountain. There are some nice viewpoints up there.

The trail to Beehive is in the recently burned area. Look at it on Google Earth and see if it is something you really want to do. Personally, I think Laurel Lake and Vernon Lake are not worth the effort, if that is all you will do and just turn around and come down that burned up trail.

Not sure if you could get a permit, but one of the more spectacular early season trips is Happy Isles, Mist Trail, camp past Little Yosemite Valley (easier permit to get) and then to Merced Lake. Return on the connector to the JMT, climb Cloud's Rest. Return on the JMT. Or return via Panorama Trail to Glacier Point. There is a bus ($20??) that you can take back to the Valley. Once past Little Yosemite Valley you will see few people.

Of course, if Tioga Road is open, and you can get a permit, the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne is the classic early backpack.
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sierra Miguel »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Happy Isles, Mist Trail, camp past Little Yosemite Valley
LVY was also burnt out, by the Meadow Fire in 2014.
There is a bus ($20??) that you can take back to the Valley.
Only if Tioga Pass Road is open (should be) and only after May 30 for the Hikers' Bus, and YARTS only runs on weekends and they haven't set a start date.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The Glacier Point bus is a private bus from Yosemite Lodge, not YARTS. Glacier Point Road is already open, but is temporarily closed when it snows. You would have to call Yosemite Lodge to for the bus schedule and when it will (or already is) open. May is a prime visitation time for Yosemite Valley. Much of the shuttles and services are already in full swing.