Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Introducing myself to the Forum!!! What a cool resource

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I almost have Section G cleared of trees for you so no speed bumps!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by maverick »

Hi Aurum,

Welcome to HST! Your post was merged into the "Intro" thread. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
uscscott
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by uscscott »

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking on the message about the past year and after catching the backpacking bug having lived a lifetime in the concrete jungle.

I'm like a kid in a candy store reading all of the great information posted on this site in terms of detailed trip reports with incredible photos and other fun topics that expand my currently limited knowledge base.

I reside in the Bay Area (East Bay) having moved up here from So Cal about 10 years ago. My first overnight backpacking trips were in 2015. All one-night trips where I hiked separately to Bear Lake in Emigrant, Boulder Lake in Emigrant, Lyons Lake in Desolation (my favorite so far) and two trips to Ocean Camp at Pt. Reyes (one with my wife who is not outdoorsy..)

I'm really looking forward to learning from all participating on this site. I thought it's about time I introduced myself since I'm working on plans for 2016 and will look to you all for advice. Looking for some multi-day trips in 2016 and already improving my equipment for the upcoming trips.

Thanks for your time.

uscscott
Last edited by uscscott on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro. :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jlersch47
Topix Newbie

A lurker no more

Post by jlersch47 »

Hey all. So I'm guilty of being a "lurker" on here for years, gratefully soaking up all your experience and wisdom.

I started hiking and backpacking with my father about 7 or 8 years ago. I'm 37 and I suppose that makes him 65+. I've hike all over Southern California and the Sierras, and also a bit in Utah (Zion, Bryce, and Arches) and Washington state.

My memory is terrible on all the names, but I've backpacked the following:
- first trip, a one nighter up to Little Yosemite Valley and then Half Dome the next morning.
- a loop up Rafferty Creek to Thousand Island Lake and some other lakes I now forget the names of.
- a loop starting up in Tuolumne Meadows (3 nights I think).

I've also backpacked the Grand Canyon twice, once in the NP (South Rim Bright Angel and South Kaibab) and once in Havasupai.

Next trip: two night trip to Palisade Glacier, if we can even make it that far in late June.

I'll try to get better at posting photos and trip reports!

Jaclyn
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jaclyn,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro. Would be great if you posted a TR or two of your previous trips, we also enjoy TR"s from beyond the Sierra too, hint (Grand Canyon), in our "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section. :nod:

SCandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by SCandy »

Spent a year lurking, so maybe time to collaborate and contribute!
So Cal based as name would imply. Backpacking became a means to justify an end. The end being fly fishing the Sierra.
I was car camping at a site in SEKI one day and was forced to limit to one day based on crazy crowds. Didn't make the trip very leisurely and something hit me as I drove by an unpaved road that had a sign that said "parking for trailhead only" or something like that....
A lightning bolt hit. I realized I did not need to camp next to a restroom with a hundred other people and I could gain access to new and better water. A few Craigslist purchases later and I was overloaded with gear Nirvana. Trimming the weight and expanding the horizons this year. Sierra from top to bottom is fair game. Stay tuned.
Andy
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Andy,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro. :)

denovo
Topix Newbie

Post by denovo »

Hi, my name is Dave and I just found out about this site, which I think is an awesome sire. I've been poking around the the site for a week or two now and I see a lot of good information on the site. A little bit about myself, I am a retired Marine and live in the Southern California area. After I retired from the Marines I started doing a lot of day hikes frequenting places like Mt San Jacinto, San Gorgonio Peak, Mt Baldy. All good day hikes but found myself wanting to do bigger things and also wanting to hike in the Sierras as I had some experience in the sierras being raised in central California. So in 2013, having some spare time on my hands, I thru hiked the JMT with my brother. We called it the trip of a lifetime! We had a great time. In 2014 I started the JMT with my brother and nephew but had to get off early due to business issues back home. Last year did the Rae Lakes loop with some family members and this year we are talking about the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne and hope you site will help make that trip a reality. When somebody asks me if I'm planning another trip I always like to say, I'm always planning a trip

Thanks for this awesome website and hope to see you on the trail!

Dave
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to HST! Semper Fi :)