Patagonia Sun Mask

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Patagonia Sun Mask

Post by maverick »

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/sun-mask?p=28736-0

Have see this mentioned here, would like to hear about peoples experiences with it. Is it really breathable, even for example when going uphill on a scree field with a pack on? Does it get to hot during the day? Can mosquitoes bite through it? Does it tend to fog up your sun glasses when you breathing heavily? Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Patagonia Sun Mask

Post by markskor »

Material/price/dimensions...Looks a lot like a Buff knock-off.
Mountainman who swims with trout
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I have the Sun Mask and the Merino Buff and the obvious differences are the Patagonia is more tailored with an up-down and front-back form fitting cut, which means you have to orient it correctly, the bottom being cut wider and longer in the back to drop down the back of the neck and tuck into the collar of the shirt with minimal bunching, so it's not as multifunctional as the Buff. I Can not comment on protecting from the mosquito, but it is comfortable to breath through and seems to fog the glasses less than the Merino Buff when in full facial coverage. Again, no breath through issues with it in the Sierra or the Los Padres. I've had it for several seasons now, and now to go to it first for head n neck protection, but the synthetic Buff is probably just as good. I really like the Merino Buff as a neck gator and face warmer on cold mornings, especially when combined with a stocking cap...much better than a hooded garment because of better peripheral vision and mobility.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for that information Freestone, maybe someone will chime in on the skeeter protection.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org