Lets Talk Hats

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SCandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Lets Talk Hats

Post by SCandy »

Now here is a really timid first post...

Getting older.
Just got skin cancer on my ear
Have traditionally worn a baseball cap whilst out fishing all day.
Also like the Buff, but when trekking a long hard day that can get a little hot.
So, need to go full brim. Never really relished the Jack Hannah or Crock Dundee look and the floppy Boondocks style just turns me off as a little Dorky.
Maybe I just answered my own question, but any purveyors of lightweight(think hot days), tuff, full size hats out there that are your favorites?
Maybe I'll perform my own field/style test this summer.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lets Talk Hats

Post by markskor »

In this independent study, two out of four hikers prefer Tilley.
DSC_4939.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is a previous thread that discusses hats: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5975&p=40015&hilit=hats#p39893
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You can call it dorky, but I don't care -- I've worn the same Sunday Afternoon hat for almost a decade and it does the job well. You got coverage, or you got skin cancer -- when you have translucent skin like mine you get coverage!!!!

If people are going to criticize you for your lack of style they just don't get to go hiking with you anymore, says the lady with the five dollar neon pink shirt, the olive green twenty buck nylon zipoffs, and the same battered old hat. I ain't spending money I don't have to just to make someone else's eyes happy. I don't have to wear the hat in pictures if I don't want to.
SCandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by SCandy »

All points well taken; and maybe a little obvious

But here is another question:
What would be your favorite retail establishment where you can actually try on a good selection of lids???
Went to Bass Pro shops the other weekend to cash an old gift card. Not exactly back packing heaven. They seemed pretty well stocked with a few brands. I am assuming REI may be good as well.
(edit) Tilleys website lists REI
Am I missing any others. Keeping in mind a SoCal shopper I am.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Go to REI or another outdoor retailer, try on what they have, sometime their in store selection is weak, get an idea of the style and size you need, and then go on-line stores to shop, including REI on-line.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

I got Squamous cell carcinoma on my forehead a few years ago. Ever since I sport an Outdoor Research hat like this one whenever I'm going to be outside for a prolonged period of time. At the very least I'll wear a ball cap.
http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research- ... 00282OVQM/
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

If you have a Sport Chalet near you that is still trying to off their inventory, start there. You may get a steal of a deal,,, or not.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

If you live near Anaheim, bob marriotts has a big selection of shade hats.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I've used a Tilley LTM6 airflow for a long time. I like the coverage and the vent at the top. And...I use sunscreen on my face even though it's covered.