One free day after backpacking trip- What should we do?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: One free day after backpacking trip- What should we do?

Post by markskor »

If you have the coin (~$30/pp), grab a six pack and raft the Merced - great way to kill the early afternoon and see the Valley as it floats on by.
After 4 - hours or so - Shuttle bus returns you free - Curry Village deck for pizza and margaritas later...stay the night at Valley BP (you have a permit)...soak up some Yosemite's Valley granite.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Curry Village deck for pizza and margaritas later
Is that not called "Half Dome Village" now Mark. :rolleyes:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Stay in Yosemite! You can also camp at the backpackers campground in Yosemite Valley with your "after trip" permit. It is set up like a group camp, so even if you get there late you will find a place to sleep. Only problem is that you have to park your car. The parking space that accesses the campground is only a loading zone. You could also try to get a spot at Camp 4 which is a bit easier to access. I have never had my permit checked at the backpackers campground, and have stayed two nights with no problem. Just pay for the site.

The reason Yosemite Valley is crowded is that the scenery is so spectacular and everyone wants to see it. Just get your mind set for the scenery and do not think of it as a wilderness experience. You already had your wilderness experience. The shuttle bus system works well and allows you to get in more day-hiking. And you can get an ice-cream cone between day hikes! There also is a swimming pool with showers so you can clean up before driving home. On the drive out, be sure to drive up to Photographer's point (better lighting in afternoon) by the Wawowna Tunnel. This is a classic Yosemite Valley view. If time, drive all the way to Glacier Point- another worthwhile view. Also, stop at El Cap Meadows. I have had many an afternoon glass of wine in El Cap Meadows, while watching the climbers on El Cap!
rjones787
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by rjones787 »

markskor wrote:If you have the coin (~$30/pp), grab a six pack and raft the Merced - great way to kill the early afternoon and see the Valley as it floats on by.
After 4 - hours or so - Shuttle bus returns you free - Curry Village deck for pizza and margaritas later...stay the night at Valley BP (you have a permit)...soak up some Yosemite's Valley granite.

Any idea where to find that for 30? I've seen a bunch for around $90/pp, which is way high for our budget. But 30...now thats attractive.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Curry Raft Rental...one shuttle bus stop west of the Curry Pavilion Arch, in Yosemite Valley...big quonset hut thing - big sign that says "Raft Rentals". You get/rent a big raft (holds 4)/paddles/flotation vests...You carry all (with ice chest?) about 200 yards to the Curry Bridge and launch away. 3 - 4 miles of non-white water down the lazy Merced - can stop wherever - food stores close at Housekeeping and Lodge...few more miles and a beach - shuttle bus takes you, and raft back...pretty mellow way to see the park.
http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/rafting/

(BTW, screw the new names!)
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

(BTW, screw the new names!)
Got that right! =D> Majestic Yosemite Hotel my foot.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org