Planning My High Sierra Trail Camp Sites

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ralfmalf
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Planning My High Sierra Trail Camp Sites

Post by ralfmalf »

I have a two fold question. I was wondering if there are good camping sites shortly after Kern Hot Springs as I would like to put in an extra two or three miles to that section of my hike?

Basically the same question for after Guitar lake. Is there anywhere decent to camp after Guitar lake?

thanks.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Planning My High Sierra Trail Camp Sites

Post by stevet »

North of Kern Hot Spring is Junction Meadow. A bit past that there is a Shorty cabin that has enough flat area to camp nearby (probably less traffic there). Beyond Guitar Lake if early enough in season about one mile above the lake there is a creek, or maybe 1/2 mile off trail from there are the Hitchcock Lakes. There are also some bivy areas further up the trail and Mt Whitney summit but you would need to haul all your water.
ralfmalf
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by ralfmalf »

Perfect, thanks stevet.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ralfmalf,

Welcome to HST!

Junction Meadow is at least 7 miles from Kern Hot Springs, if you are carrying a bear canister, then you can find campsite along the Kern, otherwise Junction Meadow is your next location with bear boxes after the Hot Springs.

You do not need to go all the way to Hitchcock Lakes, there are some tarns above Guitar Lake and some on the way to Hitchcock, that have decent campsites with water, beyond that you will have to carry water, because there is no available water higher up.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

There are plenty of places you can find good camping as you move your way up the Kern before Junction Meadow.