Trinity Alps / Mt Ashland

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trinity Alps / Mt Ashland

Post by Willythedog »

Anyone been up to the Trinities recently? Looking for conditions either around Canyon Creek Lakes or Bear lakes. Can't remember, were there any creek crossings? I bet the runoff is going pretty good right about now... The rangers don't update their trail reports until may... Looking to head up May 1st weekend.

Also, anyone been around Mt Ashland in Oregon recently? Wanting to plan a mountain biking trip up there end of May...

The national weather service map snow level overlay thingy looks to be clear where i would like to go but is it accurate...?
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

Apologies for combining two different questions. Thanks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Trinity Alps / Mt Ashland

Post by maverick »

Trinity related: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14146#p105509

Give the Ranger Station a call for the Oregon hike: (541) 618-2200
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

I was the one that responded in that thread but I was only generally speaking so was wondering if there was anything more specific.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

There is this little problem, but depending on your route, it might not impact you.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transp ... 53732.html
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

whoops... Totally forgot about highway 3! Thanks for the heads up.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Drove by there yesterday. No snow anywhere near the pass south of Ashland, at least I did not see any. Snow level pretty high. Only the upper part of the mountains west of Shasta (Mt Eddy area). I drove by Shasta 2 weeks ago and then yesterday, and there has been significant melt. Most ridges are now snow-free. I know this is not very specific, but maybe it will help a bit.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Willythedog wrote: Can't remember, were there any creek crossings?
iirc the Canyon Creek trail doesn't cross Canyon Creek itself until right before the Canyon Creek Lakes at the end. It does cross one or two smaller streams but nothing serious. Crossing Canyon Creek itself is where you'll get into trouble. Here's a TR from a trip I did on 5/9-11/2014. https://plutoniclove.com/2014/06/10/can ... nity-alps/
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Thanks guys. Was hoping to head up there this weekend but took a bit of a nasty spill on the mountain bike so might be wasting away on the couch :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: .... will report back if its a go
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks guys. Was hoping to head up there this weekend but took a bit of a nasty spill on the mountain bike so might be wasting away on the couch .... will report back if its a go
Ouch, wish you a quick recovery Willy.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

If anyone cares:
Patchy snow around 5k, only small sections of the trail is covered, small patches at lower canyon creek lake, the scramble up to and all around upper lake is fully covered with snow.

Lakes are starting to unfreeze. Lower about 70% unfrozen, upper only just starting to melt

Waterfalls are all going full bore.