Lamarck Col

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Lamarck Col-ice axe etc

Post by giantbrookie »

Regarding the snow conditions at the head of Lamarck Col (correct Col and route) the culminating steep snow at the top of the col on the north side is a common feature well into the summer in most years. An ice axe would normally be advised for such a slope, but the huge amount of foot traffic across it usually results in a pretty deep hiker's groove ascending diagonally across this slope. This deep groove reduces the probability of a fall and it is the reason why so many crossing this snow slope feel secure without an ice axe. Without this groove I would probably prefer having an ice axe, but I figure one would probably have to cross fairly early in the season not to have the snow groove. I'd guess if one was early enough not to find a groove, the pond below the slope would be totally frozen over and snow covered and the steep upper slope would runout gently, so the fall hazard wouldn't be so bad.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Lamarck Col

Post by balzaccom »

jimmeans wrote:
balzaccom wrote:

And here is what the Col looks like from the eastern edge of Upper Lamarck Lake. As Daisy notes, the trail is out of sight to the left of the photo, and then traverses that ridge to the Col. If you look carefully from below, you can see some of the switchbacks going up the east end of the ridge when you start the climb from Upper Lamarck Lake.

This is not a photo of Lamarck Col, and the trail doesn't lead over this either. The trail is on the other side of the ridge along the left side of the photo. The trail loops in behind this gap. On the map that Maverick references the place where the trail rejoins the "creek" running from the Col to the upper lake is just above the gap in this photo.
Sorry I wasn't clearer---this is what I was trying to say here: This photo is what you see when you are looking up at the area of the Col from the eastern edge of Upper Lamarck Lake. The trail is out of sight on the left of the photo, and goes up behind that ridge to the Col.

You cannot see it in the photo, but, you can see some of the switchbacks going up the east end of the ridge when you start the climb from Upper Lamarck Lake.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

balzaccom wrote:
I am NOT referring to any sign at Lamarck Lake. The sign is exactly ON the PASS!! Lamarck Col.
Apologies! There is a little sign down where the trail forks...and I must have been thinking about then when I read your post...

There is a sign and I have a picture along with a great description by Jimmeans:

Jimmeans did a great job detailing the route up to the Col. The only thing I can add is a picture of this sign.
Jim writes, “I had read several reports saying that the start of the route was sometimes difficult to find, but to me that didn't seem to be the case. The trail to Upper Lamarck Lake starts on the east side of Lamarck Creek and then crosses over to the west side for a short distance.

When the trail crosses back to the east side there is a fork in the trail. If you turn south along the creek you're continuing to Upper Lamarck Lake, but if you continue straight instead you've found the start of the Lamarck Col route. If we had been heading to Upper Lamarck Lake we probably would have missed the turn south and started on the Lamarck Col route instead. Instead of being hard to locate, the issue seemed to be when to know that we'd left the main trail and were on the Lamarck Col route.”
5Trail to U. L.JPG
You can view my report of this hike here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9634&hilit=+lamark

Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

balzaccom wrote:I can't remember exactly, but the sign clearly indicates that you should go LEFT at it. It may not say "Lamarck Col" it may say something like "trail." But at any rate, the trail, at the fork in the trail at that point is quite clear, and you need to take the left hand trail which will send you up on the ridge. Don't take the right-hand trail, which leads up a creek to Upper Lamarck Lake, unless you want to see the lake, which is lovely:
Yes, It does say "Trail". \:D/
5Trail to U. L.JPG
-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There also is a sign exactly on the top of the pass. It says "entering Kings Canyon-Sequoia NP"
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:There also is a sign exactly on the top of the pass. It says "entering Kings Canyon-Sequoia NP"
8Entering KCNP.JPG
:nod:

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

I recall being a little surprised to see that sign, because it's not on a marked trail. All things considered, it was a welcome sight.

When I went across Lamarck Col there was a large area of suncups leading up to the pass. Then that diagonal path through the snow that giantbrookie described did make the going relatively easy. An ice ax would be good insurance in case there's more snow than anticipated.
bandguy5686
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bandguy5686 »

Hi all. Made the trip-it was a smashing success! Composing a Trip Report. Many thanks for all the advice and support!! This crew rocks!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Glad to hear your trip went well. Looking forward to the TR!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix