3 Day Trip / July 4 Weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 3 Day Trip / July 4 Weekend

Post by maverick »

Maverick - thoughts on snow on trails that time of year?
Not an issue. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

maverick wrote:
Maverick - thoughts on snow on trails that time of year?
Not an issue. :)
:rock:
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Decided to do Mammoth Lakes area July 4th weekend so going to do this area Labor Day weekend.

Where should I try and camp night before if I am heading out following day from Horse Corral area? What walkup? What reservable campgrounds nearby?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

sambieni wrote:Decided to do Mammoth Lakes area July 4th weekend so going to do this area Labor Day weekend.

Where should I try and camp night before if I am heading out following day from Horse Corral area? What walkup? What reservable campgrounds nearby?
Reservable campgrounds are in the park or along the highway (Dorst, for example). The campgrounds along Big Meadows are free but the NF is changing that - they will probably be first come / first serve and $12, if they are not already. They are likely easy to get. If not you can pick a pullout on the drive in - there are plenty that are camp-able and some with a view.

You don't need permits for Jennie Lake Wilderness unless you are crossing the park boundary - then you get the permit from the park.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Thanks. Much appreciated. I am thinking of hiking a full loop over Silliman and around JO Passes.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Trip is ready
Thursday afternoon driving up to Shady Rest CG from LA
Friday: Early shuttle to Devil's Postpile and hike to Rosalie Lake
Saturday: Hike to Ediza Lake
Sunday: Hike to 1000 Isles
Monday: Hike out and drive back to LA

Possible alternative is
1) Rosalie via Ediza and back to camp at Garnet Lake or just straight to Garnet
2) Camp near Badger Lake area to shorten the trip out

Any last minute trail guidance welcome.

In meantime working on getting my pack down. Base weight somehow popping around 20 lbs, plus food/bear can another 10, plus water. I am now nearing 37-38. This despite having dropped ~5-6 lbs off my original base weight w new tent, WM bag, lighter/less gear....