RV or Hotels?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: RV or Hotels?

Post by Tom_H »

I had a Tiger for 2.5 years. We sold it so we'd have cash to renovate the house, sell, then move to WA state.

All those Sportsmobiles are built on E-350s that were upfitted to 4x4 with OEM equipment then given highly modified suspensions, skid plates, etc. They actually have kitchens, fridges, and bathrooms in them. Unfortunately, Ford quit making E-350s. They will still build one of those for you if you bring them a used vehicle to build it on. They now are building 4x4 motorhomes on Sprinter vans (which are unibody). These are a little less off road capable, but will still go 85% of the places people took the E-350s. They also build 2wd vehicles.

All the other vehicles I showed are built on stock 4x4 trucks or Jeeps with frames. Many of the vehicles' owners have started user forums similar to HST where they share info like we do here. Let me know if you want any links to user groups of manufacturer web pages.

Except for the Jeep based vehicles, the SMB E-350 vehicles are the most off-road capable.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

well. Not RV's but, My friend and I in Junior/Senior year of college at Sac State we took our cars up and drove them a bit off road. If you've never seen a Triumph Spitfire or a Saab Sonnet hill climb on a 4wd trail, you're missing out. Crystal Basin. The Saab at one point, dropped it's leftrear into a hole. we both got out and went back; lifted the car and shifted it to the right. (It's a front wheel drive; 65% front/35% back).. It was fun back then.. now with wives, it's more a finesse thing.

I'm still voting hotel.

So, you're in WA now?
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

rlown wrote:So, you're in WA now?
No, renovating the house in Wilton so we can put it on the market.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

When I was camping in Death Valley a couple of months ago, there was a couple who had something like the Ursa Minor set-up. A ladder connected to the roof tent. It looked pretty cool.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Jimr wrote:When I was camping in Death Valley a couple of months ago, there was a couple who had something like the Ursa Minor set-up. A ladder connected to the roof tent. It looked pretty cool.
EarthRoamer made one like that for awhile, with even more extreme suspension modifications to the Jeep Rubicon. It was so expensive in comparison to other models that they didn't sell many. They priced themselves out of the market.

BTW, that Jeep based Earthroamer is the only factory production motorhome ever to complete then entire Rubicon Trail.
XV-JP.jpg
The following company makes quite a few different off-road campers and trailers:

http://adventuretrailers.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Interesting stuff, thanks for including the link Tom.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org