Backpacking Ojai/Santa Barbara area

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backpacking Ojai/Santa Barbara area

Post by freestone »

2016 update: Santa Cruz trail is going off with a better than average poppy bloom. On the 40 mile stretch from the top of Alexander saddle to Santa Cruz Station, the bush poppy is putting on quite a show as well.
The front side trail tread conditions are showing some stress from the all the bike traffic, but on the plus side they keep the chaparral from taking over.
Despite the drought, water is flowing in Santa Cruz creek and there still is, to my utter amazement, a fishery. Decent sized landlocked steelhead and some fry, hanging on. My selfie illustrates the necessities needed to protect skin and sanity from sun, wind, and gnats, the latter ever present from early morning till early evening. This is great trail to prep for the Sierra, having a long steep and steady climb up to the Saddle, then another equally long "40 mile" stretch into the Santa Cruz drainage.

Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Wow. Looks spectacular.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Wow. Looks spectacular.
Agreed. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org