RV or Hotels?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: RV or Hotels?

Post by rlown »

hjldennis wrote:BTW, many people get grossed out when they find out what they have to do to "dump".
Umm. Never on the driveway :)

Most rest areas have dump stations. A good thing. Even when in Oregon (McMinnville ), they had a free dump station at the sewage treatment plant.

And what Dave said,.. Definitely watch 'RV'.

I'm adding this.. Things do break. And at the exact wrong times, in an RV or even a trailer. You have to be prepared to deal with it, one way or another. Duct tape is a good start :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote:My wife will not camp any more, bad past experiences, so which is a better way to hit up several parks, hotel (in park or near park) or RV? If you have done both, would love to hear a comparison. What are the pluses and minuses of both? Which is more expensive in the long run? Thanks
ok.. so you never said where you're going???
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by hjldennis »

Oh.. one more thing to consider in c class RV, don't consider the overhead bunk bed as your primary bed. So having a fulltime bed other than the overhead is a big plus in my opinion. Ours has 1 pullout sofa which is not too great because of the spring, and the dinette that converts to bed which is inconvenient. Kids used love the overhead bunk, but now I am the only one who really doesn't mind the tight ceiling up there...
wandering outdoors and the universe
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Hotels for my wife and I.

Mid May we are going to Lake Louise and Jasper to check out the Canadian Rockies, where she can read a book and enjoy the mountain air while I take a flyfishing lesson. Since I am not retired, driving an RV there would take way too much time to just get there. Besides, after spending so many years camping in pristine conditions, the thought of jumping through all the RV hoops does not interest me. Instead, we enjoy applying my minimalist approach to backpacking to air and hotel travel- 5 days of the necessities into a carry on travel case. To me many of the public campgrounds are more like apartment living without the walls than a relaxing outdoor experience with my wife.

$500 a night at the Majestic? Totally worth it for us.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

freestone wrote:We are going to Lake Louise and Jasper to check out the Canadian Rockies.
Flying into Calgary, driving to Banff, LL & Jasper along the Icefields parkway? Yeah, that's definitely too far to drive from Calif unless you're taking a month to drive around N America. We've done the fly in, drive & fly out up there 3 times over the last 12 years.

Helpful hint: if you have your own car (ie not on a tour bus), consider the time to drive over to Emerald lake. The turn-off is right after Lake Louise. According to Google, it's only 25 miles. LL, Emerald & Moraine (just south of LL) are the 3 (lake) crown jewels.

North of LL along the parkway is where some of the more spectacular peaks are located. If you have the time/inclination, take the time to walk over the Athabasca glacier. If the road up to Edith Cavell is open, definitely consider going up. You can hike right up to the base next to a glacial moraine:

freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Flying into Calgary, driving to Banff, LL & Jasper along the Icefields parkway?
Hobbes, yes that is exactly what we are doing, except for a sidetrip down to Lethbridge to visit family. Thank you for the Emerald Lake suggestion, that's exactly the kind of thing we like to do!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

The answer is: Off-road 4x4 Motorhome

Sportsmobile:
SMB1a.png
SMB2.png
SMB3.png
SMB4.png
SMB5.png
SMB6.png
SMB7.png
SMB8.png
Tiger Adventure Vehicles:
Tiger1.png
Tiger2.png
EarthRoamer:
ER1.png
ER2.png
More to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tom_H on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I wouldn't wish that ER1 move on anyone..
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Global Expedition Vehicles:
GEV.png
Action Camper:
ActionCamper.png
Ursa Minor:
UrsaMinorJ180.png
JK Habitat:
JK Habitat.png
Action Mobil:
ActionMobil.png
And there are quite a few others. There are also off-road trailers that can be towed by a Jeep, which have fold out kitchens and sleeping quarters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I liked the Action Mobil... Tom, which one do you own? ;)

Nice to dream though, right up until the first service interval..