Trip Recommendation Wanted - 3 day, 2 night.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jmyers
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Recommendation Wanted - 3 day, 2 night.

Post by jmyers »

Emigrant is NOT cattle free, although I haven't seen them anywhere on the trail from Crabtree to Deer. I have seen a bunch in the upper meadows from Gianelli last year. They weren't a problem for us as we were just walking through the areas there were grazing.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

jmyers wrote:Emigrant is NOT cattle free, although I haven't seen them anywhere on the trail from Crabtree to Deer. I have seen a bunch in the upper meadows from Gianelli last year. They weren't a problem for us as we were just walking through the areas there were grazing.
Really I've been up there (this will be my third summer) and have never seen any grazing livestock. I'll take your word that they are there, but I have never seen them.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Asolthane »

SSSdave wrote:Desolation Wilderness has lakes with good fishing and some with mediocre fishing. Short easy drive from SF, short hike, scenic. We just visited Island Lake out of Wrights Lake and that had a good population of mostly 8-10 inch brook trout with a some larger. Fish south shore areas. No place to camp there with normal tent sites as it is rocky but nearby Upper Twin Lake has flat bedrock expanse well away from trail with sites and has pan sized brookies too. With 2 days you won't have time to visit all the interesting things in that basin. Snow fields still above on Mt Price making good amount of fresh water everywhere. Early summer wildflowers are peaking now. Permits via recreation.gov that print out the actual permit online.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.86657,-120.19317&z=15&t=T

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/Spring_2015 ... 015-1.html
Thanks so much for this recommendation, it was awesome. Fishing wasn't great there, but gorgeous area and really easy to get to. My girlfriend loved it.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

@Asolthane Trip report, please. :D
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

maverick wrote:Hi Asolthane,

Welcome to HST! When you get some time, please write us up an intro: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
I wrote my intro, but forgot to mention that here! Is there a way to link to a post in another thread?