Buff?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Buff?

Post by sheperd80 »

I guess sleeping with it over your mouth could help reduce tent condensation too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
gabe&mel
Topix Regular

Post by gabe&mel »

I have a buff, its coolmax with insect shield. [ https://www.rei.com/product/866014/buff ... hield-buff]

Mel loves her buff, keeps hair out of her face and also functions as an eye mask at night. I tried a smart wool balaclava for a long time but have determined that for me its not too useful: too hot to hike in (save the coldest mornings), made my head really itch, was a piss poor beanie.

Really glad I made with the switch to buff, breathes really well, can function as an actual beanie, the coolmax doesn't make my head itch, blocks sun on hot days when fishing, and keeps my head warm enough at ~ 35 degrees when sleeping [ I use a hoodless quilt and find it adequate to around 35 degrees at which point I add my hooded down jacket at night].

We treat all of our backpacking clothes with insect shield and feel there is a benefit, even if its only psychological. As poster above alluded its too thin to prevent bites, but when worn loosely around my neck it keeps them away and me warm.

IMG_0144.jpg
IMG_1386.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GioClimb
Topix Novice

Post by GioClimb »

I have one in the pocket of both my motorcycle jackets. Perfect for face or neck coverage when needed. Last year I started carrying one backpacking because it is lighter than any head gear, has a multipurpose (rag/towel/pot holder) and dries quickly.

Admittedly - I still think it makes me look dorky as heck. And not the cute, endearing dorky. :)

But hey - it works.

-G
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

I use one all of the time. It's my beanie for cool temps, a neck warmer when it gets cold enough to pull on the puffy, and a sun hat if it's too hot for my hiking hat. If I'm cold at night, will wear it as a bedtime beanie. The idea of using as a pillowcase for inflatable pillow seems intriguing; may try it his summer if the inflatable pillow makes the cut.
Always goes into my pack. Highly recommended.
Don't care if some think that it looks dorky. I wouldn't win any backcountry fashion contests with or without it. ;)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Okay, there are quite a few fans out there. What fabric do you prefer? I would think merino or coolmax...
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I have a Buff that looks like a rainbow trout and it's been great. I use it when hiking, fishing out of my boat, working in the yard....anytime I am going to be in the sun. It does a great job at preventing sun and wind burns to my face, ears and neck. Like others have said, dunking it in water is great way to cool yourself off.

Only two issues I have faced. It has started to ball up where it covers high movement areas (mouth, jaw line). Not really bad but was hoping this material would not do this. Second, in temps below 70-75 degrees, if you have it up covering your nose and cheeks (like a bandit) with sunglasses on, they will fog up. The colder it is, the worse it becomes. Some companies are now using mesh material in those areas to prevent this. I usually put sunscreen on my nose just in case when its cooler.
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

I like wearing a shemagh mainly because it has other uses too. I've found its cool in the summer and warm in the winter to boot
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

a few years ago I had a small REI refund to spend and couldn't find much I really needed to spend it on, so I decided to try that Buff thing that was hanging there in the store. I still use it today, almost every day when it is cooler.

It is my go-to face/ear cover when commuting on my bicycle (6000 miles a year, all year all seasons in Wisconsin - hey, it is snowing today again...). When it is really cold, like -20 wind chill, I layer two of these as a face mask. You can breathe through these for about half an hour before icicles will form and you need to shift the fabric over your mouth.

I use it as neck warmer in the winter even when just walking outside, face cover when skiing, sometimes use a wet one in the summer to cool myself down.

Love these things. I even use one to wrap my phone in when stuffing it into my bike bag. Millions of uses for these pieces of fabric, even if the price is rather obscene for just a piece of elastic fabric tube.