4 day Trip advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Graydog
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: 4 day Trip advice

Post by Graydog »

So we changed our date by a day and were able to get a permit to go up Shadow Creek out of Agnew Meadows. Plan for now is to go to Ediza for 1 night, then to to Garnet or more likely 1000 Island Lake for one night and then probably head down River trail or High trail and camp so that we can head out early am for the drive home.

My main question is on finding a spot for the 3rd night, are there any regulations about how far you have to camp from the trail head? Do you prefer taking River or High trail?.

Also any opinions on the route in general are appreciated.

Thanks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

My main question is on finding a spot for the 3rd night, are there any regulations about how far you have to camp from the trail head? Do you prefer taking River or High trail?
- River Trail at Olaine Lake or near the Middle Fork have are some sites available.
- High Trail is a little more problematic, water is the issue, I have camped at a site near the creek flowing just south of San Joaquin Mtn that crosses the trail.

Both of these site are legal, a 1/4 mile from the boundary line and developed areas, just follow the FS regulations about the distance from rivers, lakes, trails when setting up you campsite.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Graydog
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Graydog »

Thanks Maverick.