New camera

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

New camera

Post by richlong8 »

I am trying to decide on a new camera for taking into the wilderness this year.I have decided I am willing to carry a little more weight, and get a little more serious high quality lens,so the lenses available are as important as the camera. I want a wide angle zoom lens that is a bit wider than 24 equivalent, and I would prefer for it to have some image stabilization built in for when I am handholding the lens. I am considering 3 choices, probably 2, really. I am ruling out the Sony A6000, which is a nice camera. I used it last year, but I don't like the lens quality available, and my results with it, and see no point in adapting other brand lenses to the Sony, when there are other great cameras out there, so i sold it this winter.
I am looking hard at the Nikon D5500 for a camera. I was shocked when I picked it up, and saw how relatively small and light it was for a Nikon DSLR. Under 15 ounces with the battery in, which is comparable to many of the better Micro Four Thirds cameras that I might compromise sensor size and carry to save weight. I am looking at the lenses and this is where I am looking for advice. Probably the best one I see so far is the Nikon 16-24VR that came out about 8 months ago, but I wish is was a bit wider. It weights about a pound, and that is about the most weight in a lens that I want to carry. Anyone out there use one of these, or have another suggestion for a Nikon DX body.
The other choice is a Fuji camera, either the XT-1, or the XT-10, same ASPC sensor size as Nikon, anyone carry one? They have a good rep for high quality lenses, and I tested one out recently in the desert,with the 18-55 kit lens, and I liked the results. Great lens for a kit lens. Weight and size are comparable to the Nikon body, and they have a 10-18mm that weighs around 14 ounces that is supposed to be a fine lens.
I know there are some great photographers on this site, so If anyone has a suggestion on these 2, or something comparable, I would appreciate hearing from you.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Re: New camera

Post by psykokid »

I'm waiting to see how the new Nikon DL18-35 pans out when it's released in June. Small sensor but seems to tick all the other boxes on paper, including a fast lens (f/1.8-2.8) and relatively light weight (14.8 oz w/ card & battery). My Canon G10 finally bit the dust so I'm in the market..
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Anyone trying to get serious with landscape photography intent on creating more than snapshot sized images needs to abandon any hand holding habits despite how much they might hate that notion and start using a tripod. Otherwise it doesn't really matter what camera or lens system one uses, the results are likely to be no better than just hanging a high end compact digital camera off their neck.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I agree with that conclusion. I handheld last year, and was quite disappointed(disgusted) with my pics. I am committed to using the tripod when setting up at my camps, or extended breaks, but want the image stabilization for snapshots along the way, or else I will never get there! I have a tripod, but I am debating getting a little bit better quality one, even if it is not full size in height. Any suggestions on the camera or lenses. I have to buy something, I have nothing at this point.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

thanks you Maverick, I will check these links out