Beginner Overnight suggestion

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Beginner Overnight suggestion

Post by tim »

We've done a bunch of 2 and 3 day trips in SEKI (all but one with my youngest son who's now 10 and done on the first day driving from sea level), which should give you some ideas. All are doable as an overnight and are no more than about 6 miles to get to the first lake/campsite.
Seville is nice and usually easy to get a permit for (look for Belle Canyon). Here's our trip report for Labor Day weekend (3 days) in 2014: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11765
Also you could probably get a walk-in to Paradise Valley or Pear Lake if you aren't going at the weekend and are there to line up at the permit office the day before. Pear Lake is spectacular, but a tougher hike (I didn't take the kids there).
Here's our Paradise Valley trip report (3 days) from Memorial Day weekend in 2013: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9327 and my (solo) Pear Lake 2 day trip from Nov 2011: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7169
Last summer we also did a quick overnight from Mineral King to Eagle Lake: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13373
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings tstrauss

Congratulations for taking your family backpacking in the Sierra Nevada. You're giving them a gift they'll treasure for a lifetime. Be conservative with the mileage, prepare for high-elevation weather, and you folks are sure to have a great time.

Since you're coming this far, it pays to be well informed. The best source of information for planning a hike in the Sierra Nevada comes from two books: "Sierra North" and "Sierra South". They're on Amazon. Sierra South covers the area where you're going.

These books are filled with information about hiking from trail heads all over the Sierra Nevada, with information about trails you might not have considered, which can help get away from the crowds. Rating the trips Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, they provide a good idea of what you can expect on the trail, elevation, campsites, etc. Cross country routes are included. Its okay to tear out the specific pages and take them on the trip. Along with map and compass, the information is useful for knowing what to expect.

As for bears, you can actually go on YouTube and see old film showing people standing along the road in Yosemite, years ago, feeding black bears by hand. Or they might have been grizzlies. I always get those two mixed up. :)

Seriously, bear attacks are the least of your concerns. Respect everyone's feelings about the subject, but keep a light-hearted approach. Maybe get an informative little book on the subject. Hey, I don't know about East Coast bears, but California bears are cute. :bear:

You're right to be cautious of stream crossings; that's actually a statistical risk factor. Nevertheless, the Sierra Nevada is generally a benign environment. And if you've never seen the Giant Sequoia trees in person, be ready for a truly awe-inspiring experience.

Peace.
tstrauss
Topix Newbie

Post by tstrauss »

thanks everyone for the awesome responses. to clarify, my 6-7 mile mileage is per day. we did a trip in the smokies back east last year (obviously much lower elevation) but day 2 did have a pretty steep climb. The guide did a great job of making us stop every hour whether we needed it or not, and kept things light hearted. The Smokies doesn't have the grand views that i believe SEKI has, so that should be a plus for the kids. We will be staying 1 night in Potwisha and 2 nights in Dorst to explore and acclimate. I will pick up a copy of Sierra South. My wife and i plan to carry the bulk of the weight to spare the girls, but each will be carrying something.

Tony
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

We will be staying 1 night in Potwisha and 2 nights in Dorst to explore and acclimate.

Tim,

Both of those campgrounds are located in Sequoia NP, Potwisha near the southern entrance of the park, Dorst is the next major campground after Lodgepole to the north. If you plan to drive to Roads End in Kings Canyon, plan at least 1:15-1:30 min's, this is without any side excursions. Also their are no gas stations within SEKI, you will need to purchase gas at nearby Forest Service lands: Hume Lake Market and Stony Creek Village ( the one at Kings Canyon Lodge was damage during the Rough Fire).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tstrauss
Topix Newbie

Post by tstrauss »

Are there any campgrounds in Kings Canyon you would recommend that would put us close to some trailheads?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

There are 4 of them in the Cedar Grove area, have stayed at the Sentinel before, it is a first come, first serve campground.
Here is a link to all of them, with all the info: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

tstrauss wrote:Are there any campgrounds in Kings Canyon you would recommend that would put us close to some trailheads?
All the trailheads in the actual Kings Canyon (i.e. Budds Creek, Lewis Creek, Wood's Creek) are all relatively close together in the valley. Any campground within Cedar Grove will give you close access to the trails.

In my opinion Cedar Grove can be skipped if you're pressed for time. Mist falls is about the only day hike out with any destination. If you want to see the canyon that's another story, but I feel that the views from potential hikes out of Lodgepole/Rowell Meadow are much greater. YMMV

Another outing would be to visit Big Meadows and Buck Rock Fire Lookout in Sequoia NF. It's in the area and a great destination for kids. There's camping galore: Big Meadows Campground, Buck Rock Campground, or just disperse camp. Buck Rock is topped on a granite peak and offers 360 degree views. The best part is you can drive to the base and climb stairs to the top.

Buck Rock Foundation
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I have stayed quite a few times at both Sentinel and Moraine campgrounds at Cedar Grove. They are both great for car camping. On weekdays there have always been lots of available campsites, even in August. I prefer Moraine since there are many campsites that are far from the nearest neighbor, especially in the back of the campground. The few sites along the river in Sentinel are great, but they are the ones that fill first. Along with Mist Falls, the various loops one can hike from Zumwalt Meadows and Roads End can be nice day hikes with excellent views of the canyon.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings tstrauss

You're going to like reading Sierra South. Beyond being a trail guide, it's packed with information about hiking in the Sierra Nevada.

Here's a suggestion. If it were me, I would cut the mileage down to 5 miles a day. Also, I would try for a three day, two night trip. That could be one day going up, one "rest day" to wander around and explore, and one day coming back down. This way everyone has a chance to relax and get to feel at home in the high-country. Actually, a little less miles, and more time out there in the heart of nature.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is a video of the drive down to Kings Canyon, at 8:34 is where the road is really exiting for first time visitors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxuL5CHbHXA

Forgot to mention Crystal Cave on the way down to Kings Canyon, pretty cool place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCrgpLJO90

Here is a video of the hike to Moro Rock Lookout in Sequoia NP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZttoB41bg