Henry Coe , The Good, The Bad,and the Ugly

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Henry Coe , The Good, The Bad,and the Ugly

Post by justm »

Actually, I would have been alone at Kelly Lake, had it not been for those kids doing their outdoor class. I was alone the entire time at Coit. This was a route recommended to me by the ranger for my first time in Henry Coe, and I had a wonderful time !!! Those kids were great, I got to talk to them and I wish I had a class like that when I was in school. I don't care how popular a destination is, trash is unacceptable period. Yes, we are very lucky to have places like Henry Coe and Point Reyes. :)
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Henry Coe , The Good, The Bad,and the Ugly

Post by SSSdave »

Contacted HCSP yesterday and HQ volunteer said MAYBE there was a change in parking policy along the road but that they had no info about such as that would not be under the park's jurisdiction but rather Santa Clara County Sheriff patrol. Also explained the fee structure in more detail. At Hunting Hollow $6 per day vehicle fee and $5 per night per person backpacking fee. So a vehicle parked there 2 nights over 3 days would be $12. If there were 3 people in a group that would be 3*5*2= $30 dollars in backpacking fees. Total would be $12 + $30 = $42. Even if hiking out by the bridge without parking one needs to stop at HH and fill out the backpacking permit form and pay the fees.

Next called the Santa Clara County San Martin Police Station and Holly gave me Sgt Corasco who was unaware of any no parking policy on the road and after a nice conversation with me was going to enjoy driving out there himself and see what signs were there. He pretty much agreed with my assessment that one ought to be able to park along the road. Note there was another Sgt Owens who probably knows more but was not in yesterday. So either today or Monday will know more when he calls back when we ought get to the bottom of this.

My expectation is people will be allowed to park in usual places at the Coyote Creek bridge after paying whatever fees at Hunting Hollow and that the state park ought to have the county sheriff block off with big rocks any current roadside spots near Hunting Hollow if there are any to force people to park in the official lot.

David