Ice ax needed for mid June-July?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ice ax needed for mid June-July?

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

I am planning on doing tht HST over to Whitney Portal and then from Whitney Portal to Yosemite on the JMT. During normal snow years, I would probably feel safer with an ice ax, but I am wondering if I would even need to take it off my pack.

I was originally planning on buying and carrying one just in case, but I am not sure how long the passes will hold snow this year.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I wouldn't this year, but that is just me.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Ice ax

Post by gdurkee »

I agree. I've never been a major ice ax fan for the Sierra. Ski poles, for balance, are your most useful tool. When things are a little tenuous (say, parts of the Whitney trail; north side of Glen Pass or south side of Mather), you can get Black Diamond poles with a pretty good self-arrest adze to attach.

Good hike.

George
Steve Bearman
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve Bearman »

Having just returned from the Rock Creek area (John Muir Wilderness), I can say that the low snow rumors are not just rumors. Check out the bottom graph here: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/icons/PLOT_SWC.2007.gif.

Mid-June last year required an ice axe for safe navigation of off-trail passes. This year, I am pretty confident there will be no need at all.