Frazil Ice

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Frazil Ice

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NPS:
Frazil ice was seen this morning in Yosemite Creek! Frazil ice forms when mist (for example, from a waterfall) freezes, then floats down the creek. This unique phenomenon can occur in fall, winter, or spring, as long as there is relatively high flow over waterfalls and Yosemite Valley has overnight lows below freezing. Since this phenomenon is entirely weather-dependent, it's difficult to predict in advance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9p4mFEYXc

Have you witnessed this phenomenon in the Sierra before?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Frazil Ice

Post by balance »

Greetings Maverick

Yeah, no big deal. I've seen Frazil Ice many times actually, floating on top of my Margarita. But the video was worth watching because of that pretty ranger Victoria. I wonder if I got lost in Yosemite if she would show up to rescue me? ;)

Okay, seriously now: That video about Frazil Ice was great! I'm a big fan of any nature documentary, especially about Yosemite. The Frazil Ice video is part of a series of mini-documentaries called Yosemite Nature Notes, on the Yosemite website or YouTube in HD. Thanks very much Maverick, for letting us know about the Yosemite Nature Note videos. I never saw these before, and I'm going to watch them now.

Still, I wonder if I got lost in Yosemite...
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I've watched a few videos like this one but never in person. I hope that I can see it in person some day.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yeah, no big deal. I've seen Frazil Ice many times actually, floating on top of my Margarita. But the video was worth watching because of that pretty ranger Victoria. I wonder if I got lost in Yosemite if she would show up to rescue me?
I can see it now, you dangling off some route like Snake Dyke, several hundred feet from the Valley floor, and Ranger Victoria comes to you rescue, rappelling several hundred feet from the top holding two Margaritas, more precisely Yosemite Frazil's, and then suddenly you wake up. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org