Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Hobbes »

RR, I don't know if you've used the shading overlay with CalTopo, but I find it useful to compare prospective routes with hikes I've done before. Here's a link to the area we've been discussing:

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.6976 ... ,0.25&a=sf

Basically, the gradation is white, yellow, red, purple & black. At a rudimentary level, purple involves hand-holds, while black requires belays. The two steepest hikes/climbs I've been involved with are:

- Coming down the backside of Langley (underneath the Major General) that goes purple in a few areas, which conforms with my experience; and
- Doing the Whitney mountaineers route, which is purple most of the way with black edges.

For the SHR between TI and the meet-up location, the route Roper describes generally follows the white, yellow & red gradations, while skirting a few purple spots.

Maverick: is Rogers pass the first saddle north the Rogers peak, or the second saddle (to the right of the PB47 marker)?

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.7295 ... ,0.25&a=sf
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Cannot open you link Hobbes, but here it is on our map: HST Map
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Excellent - it's the second saddle north of Rogers peak.

Q: Can you open CalTopo in general? Both links work for me from the post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Q: Can you open CalTopo in general? Both links work for me from the post.
Yes, my work Mac can open those links now. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Hobbes, no I have not used the CalTopo shading overlay. Thanks for pointing it out. Definitely useful as another reference for route planning.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

So we are getting closer is everyone still going? I know I cant wait!!!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

We are few weeks away for the Meet-up dates :) 7/28-7/29, would like to know who is attending so everyone can be assigned to one of the three campsites, if need, as indicated earlier on in this thread. If you coming with someone else or as group, please indicate the names in your group.
Thanks you.

Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Just me hope to be there Wednesday afternoon /nighr
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just me hope to be there Wednesday afternoon /night
Great, our group of 5 will be coming in via Old Bones Pass from the south.

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Sadly, I won't be attending. The house I've been renting for 16 years is being sold and I need to secure a roof over my kids head. I will need the vacation time to move.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.