Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Heads-up if you're entering from Sierra National Forest

Post by oleander »

I'm entering from one of the Sierra National Forest trailheads.

Here's a tip for others planning the same: When you receive your confirmation letter in the mail, check the very bottom of the page, where it says "Park Travel Y/N". Be sure the "Y" is circled. Park Travel refers to your right to enter Yosemite NP as part of your trip. (According to the Sierra NF website, if it's marked "N" you are not permitted to enter Yosemite.)

Mine was marked "N". I called the Bass Lake Ranger District and had it set right.

My guess is that whoever issued the permit was not aware that certain obscure off-trail destinations such as Lyell Fork and Harriet Lake are located within the Yosemite boundary and require me to have the right to enter Yosemite.

- Oleander
GioClimb
Topix Novice

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by GioClimb »

Howdy all,
I'm a fairly new member and will be joining peaksandpotatoes for the hike in and out.

-G
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Looking forward to meeting you out there Gio. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Peaksandpotatoes I too plan to do those peaks probably Electra and Rodgers on Thursday and Forester/Ansel on my way out on Friday, it would be nice to have company!

Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Here are my plans. If anyone is planning the same/similar route and want a companion, please let me know.

Sunday July 24 - Agnew Meadows River Trail to Thousand Island Lake
25 - Twin Island Lakes
26 - Blue Lake
27 - Hutchings Creek Basin
28 - Meetup
29 - Meetup (Electra? Hutchings Creek if I skipped it?)
30 - Over Rodgers Pass to Marie, Davis, or Island Pass area
31 - Agnew Meadows

Another option in mind is to spend an extra day in Bench Canyon instead of going to Hutchings Creek the day before the meetup (maybe a SE approach to Electra and back to Bench Canyon?)

Hobbes, I believe you are also coming in over North Glacier Pass, though 2 days after me. Did you decide which route you were going to take from Lake Catherine to Twin Island Lakes? This is your image from another thread. I added in the blue line, which seems to be the one most take. But as you've noticed, many others have reported to have taken the red line path.

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

RR, I think the blue line path actually follows the drainage, then cuts straight across around the 2900 marker aiming for the low saddle at the middle of the upper twin lake. Back in Dec, I sent a PM to 'paul' - with the red line path attached - asking him about the route he took through this section; this was his reply:
paul wrote:The bottom part looks right, but I think we started higher, up between the two ponds along the Catherine outlet. But there's lots of ways to go.
Perhaps Daisy, Oleander (gotta dig the flower names), or some others can help add their insight & recommendations. Unless conditions look different or dictate otherwise, I think I will follow the red line as drawn. That way, it will follow the "standard" path to the point where I can decide to either cut-across or descend.
Last edited by Hobbes on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Thanks Hobbes. It seems both paths might work. I think Roper (can't verify - don't have the book with me now) and others reference that group of trees at the low point of my blue line. And Google Earth shows a ledge from that point to Twin Island Lakes that might make a good route, without having to follow the drainage all the way down.
Last edited by Rockyroad on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Rockyroad,

You can use either route (blue/red) or you can even go a little higher (have done all of these and they all work fine), just don't drop down into the canyon, that's it. The area is not extremely technical, just a little convoluted, something like the area above Tamarack Lake, ledges and cliffs that needs a little time to negotiate, just take your time finding the safest/easiest route and you will have no issues.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Rockyroad wrote:I think Roper and others reference that group of trees at the low point of my blue line.
You are correct. On page 170, Roper says "From this isolated group of trees @ 3020 meters ... climb a few feet to the north & follow a rough path that leads 100 yards along a bench. This is an excellent place to study the route to Twin Island lakes. The SHR does not descend very far into the valley of the NF, but contours around its head. The object is to reach the south end of the northern Twin Island lake."

It appears the route Paul took avoids the waterfall down to the second tarn. Based on Roper's description above, it seems like you could just follow the 3000 meter contour line. As Mav & Paul remarked, it looks like there's plenty of options that all get you to the same place.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Hobbes, Mav, thanks for your replies and the assurance that either path will work. Guess I'll decide when I'm there.