TR: Sabrina Basin 9/25-30

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Sabrina Basin 9/25-30

Post by Cross Country »

That was truley a great trip - my kind of trip. I've never been to those lakes. I would have loved to have gone with you on this trip If I were 12 years younger than you instead of 12 years older. You're trip had everything I like about a trip except for the temperature, but you obviously had really good weather given the time of year. As per usual you wrote another excellent trip report.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Wandering Daisy wrote:According to Secor, there is a class 2 pass from Blue Heaven Lake (above Mindnight Lake) to Darwin Canyon.
I have been over that route (Darwin Col) from Darwin Canyon to Blue Heaven Lake. There are easy benches and some scrambling on the west side, and a steep and loose chute on the east side (similar to the east side of Frozen Lake Pass). We left plenty of room between each other on the way down.
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

Hi Wandering Daisy,

What did you think of your campsites at the different lakes? It sounds like Blue Lake is usually pretty crowded, given its proximity to the trailhead. From your description, it sounded like Hungry Packer lake had good options for camping, as did Fishgut Lakes.

You mentioned that upper Emerald Lake was lovely. Did you notice any good opportunities for campsites up there or any of the other lakes you visited along the way?

Thanks for the wonderful report and beautiful pictures! Can't wait to go check it out for myself!
-tweeder