Buff?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Buff?

Post by markskor »

Talking with a local gear store guy - He swears that those buff things are useful... good against mosquitoes, sunburn, wind, etc.
Worthwhile piece of gear or just a fashion statement?
Mountainman who swims with trout
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Re: Buff?

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sheperd80 »

Ive been wondering the same thing. It seems fairly useful. But i tried on my girlfriends and it felt too warm around my neck for sun, too tight to wear as a balaclava, too thin as a beanie.

Maybe its just the version she had, maybe i would need a larger mens buff if they come in different sizes. But for now im content with a bandana and beanie. Both are multi functional. Beanie = head warmer and freezer bag cooking cozie, Bandana = a million uses (im sure a buff is as well).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have a wool buff and a coolmax buff. I use them as beanie hats, neck gaiters or just as a bandanna. When using it as a beanie I give it a twist and double it up over itself. As a head band, too. Great multi-use item. I wore one on my head for a weekend once after losing my hat.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I've never wore one and don't think I could get used to it. I can't stand stuff covering up my face and ears. I'm normally more concerned with removing as much as possible trying to stay cool. Having said that I must admit that even I have started wearing long sleeve sun shirts most of the time to protect my arms from all the UV. Several of my friends have started wearing them when fly fishing. I just don't think I will ever be that guy standing out in the river on a beautiful fall afternoon wearing a long sleeve shirt, fingerless gloves, and a buff that covers everything but my eyes.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I wear them all the time when I'm out in the wilds. Too thin to do much about mosquitoes, but they are great for keeping your neck and face protected from the sun. I've never been very good about using sunscreen, so a buff is a solid compromise. They also do keep the covered parts warmer in windy conditions. If I encounter someone on the trail, I do drag it down off my face so I don't look like some creepy bandit.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

gary c. wrote:I've never wore one and don't think I could get used to it. I can't stand stuff covering up my face and ears. I'm normally more concerned with removing as much as possible trying to stay cool. Having said that I must admit that even I have started wearing long sleeve sun shirts most of the time to protect my arms from all the UV. Several of my friends have started wearing them when fly fishing. I just don't think I will ever be that guy standing out in the river on a beautiful fall afternoon wearing a long sleeve shirt, fingerless gloves, and a buff that covers everything but my eyes.
Then don't wear it like that. I don't. There are plenty of ways to wear it - that's kind of the point.

I like to tie a knot in it and wear it like a pirate hat, on Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I wear one in place of a hat, like a skull cap. Around my neck when it gets cold and when it gets really cold, it covers everything except the eyes for sleeping of putting a bit of wind protection on the ears and cheeks. And yes, you can breathe through them without feeling like your breathing in your last exhaled breath.

I originally got it for fly fishing in the Everglades to keep the no-see-ums at bay. When I tried it out for hiking, I immediately liked it.
[rimg]Jim dry waterfall Stewart.JPG[/rimg]
[rimg]Jim and 3 pretty ladies Pahrump Peak.JPG[/rimg]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Thanks for all replies...may just have to grab me one.
So far, responses indicate 5 out of 6 backpackers like/use the Buff...(never been sure about that Gary...).

Anyway, buff ads (eBay) say that some use/come with something called "CoolMax"...(whatever the hell that is?)...Does it do anything special/ make a difference?
Thanks,
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

In addition to the uses people have mentioned, I also use it as a pillowcase for my exped pillow. It fits perfectly and doesn't slip off.